Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bashing my head trying to settle on what nano-fish to put into my 30L, I'm in the process of cycling my tank so I've time to contemplate, my water is hard my local water is 280ppm, my base readings pre-cycle are as follows;
PH-7.4
GH-16 OD
KH-6 OD
NO3- 175PPM
NO2-5PPM
CL2-0PPM
(Awaiting on a new Nt labs Kit arriving for ammonia testing, had ran out)
The tank is well planted with, Microsorum pteropus, Rotala indica and Vesicularia dubyana (No Co2, plenty of light and minimal fertiliser)
Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
DEFINITELY Chili Rasboras! They are small, you can put multiple in, and they are insanely cute and colorful. Its the perfect addition to any small fish tank! Or you should probably just put colorful snails and shrimp into your tank. Like yellow mystery snails, and cherry shrimp. They are found everywhere, and very colorful. Also, a perfect addition to nano tanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chilli Rasboras are awesome little dudes, in terms of requirements what sort of profile do they like and what would you say an ideal number of all would be if I were to get some Amano shrimp and Malaysian trumpet snails as well?
I know for the majority of fish can for the best part adapt to hardness but I'm aiming for optimal on all fronts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your tank is actually around 7 gallons. Quite large for a nano tank. I recommend about 10-25 Shrimp and 4-6 Snails. Snails actually do grow to the size of the tank so get the smaller ones that will be easier to adjust if you have slightly less room then they need if they are huge.

·
Registered
83 Posts
4-7 PH is perfect for Chili Rasboras . A five gallon tank can hold 6 of them. A 7 gallon fish tank will probably hold around 8-12. Depending on how many shrimp and snails you have. There temp range is 76-79 so make sure you have a heater that works about 78. Other then that they will be quite shy at first but eventually they will explore and look really cute forming small little school and stuff. Also, you could possibly consider only having 4-5 in your tank with a Betta fish. However, if you have a Betta fish you will need lots of space for young shrimp to hide because sometimes it will try to eat them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4-7 PH is perfect for Chili Rasboras. A five-gallon tank can hold 6 of them. A 7-gallon fish tank will probably hold around 8-12. Depending on how many shrimp and snails you have. Their temp range is 76-79 so make sure you have a heater that works about 78. Other than that they will be quite shy at first but eventually they will explore and look really cute forming small little school and stuff. Also, you could possibly consider only having 4-5 in your tank with a Betta fish. However, if you have a Betta fish you will need lots of space for young shrimp to hide because sometimes it will try to eat them.
I'm having some serious issues trying to source some chilli rasboras with the world in its sad state of affairs, that and Brexit has meant not a whole lot is getting imported right this moment, any other suggestions, I've got a betta tank already I'm looking for a small and vibrant fish ideally a relatively large quantity for the tank size, I know I'm probably being a little anally retentive about a "designer fish" but I've got an aesthetic I'm aiming for

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've not long accurately re-tested a sample of my local water and I'm definitely going to be looking for a hardy fish unless i were to go down the RO water route, water profile as follows;
PH-7.5
KH-7dKH
GH-21dGH

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmm, well sorry to get back so late! Instead of Chili Raspboras. You can buy a betta fish. You have the perfect tank size for a betta fish, a few snails and shrimp. Or, you can have 1-3 Pea Puffer fish (Also known as the Indian puffer). They are small, freshwater, and insanely cute. Some people think they only do good alone but usually they do just as good in a small group or a pair. Lots of websites ship these little fellas. Here is a few places that will ship them to you: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+971&pcatid=971 AND Indian Dwarf Pea Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus), Tank-Bred! | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts