Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am going to purchase a desktop aquarium (3-12 gallons) sometime soon and I kinda know what I'm doing, but not entirely so if you guys could give me any suggestions or advice I'd really appreciate it.

Here is everything I've thought about in list form:

Tank:
3-12 gallons- 12 gallons is the maximum I can have due to college residence hall regulations, though I am much more thinking on the smaller end for convenience when it comes to moving it.

Substrate:
I'm going to do dark colored gravel. I seen at the pet store last time I was scoping out the fish stuff that they had some gravel that had some liquid with healthy bacteria already in the bag? Has anyone ever used this?

Plants:
I'm going for live plants and have 5 small pygmy chain swords on their way.

Fish/other animals:
I want to get a large snail for clean up (and I think they're interesting)- I've been thinking a Mystery Snail.

I'm also toying with the idea of cherry shrimp if I don't get a snail.

As for fish, I would prefer to get more than one;

I've been thinking about getting 3 guppies (1 male, 2 female).

I have also considered getting a betta (not sure if I want male or female atm) with a tank mate or two depending on the size of tank I get.

Any suggestions on hardy fish that don't get too big for the size of tank I'm getting?

Food:
Tropical food flakes and betta pellets. I have yet to purchase the flakes, but the betta pellets are almost a year old, are these still ok to be used? Any prefered brands I can buy in a standard pet store?

Misc. Supplies:
Small net, Doctor Who aquarium decorations (TARDIS and Dalek)

Yet to Purchase:
Gravel vacuum, aquarium, extra filter cartridges, pH testing kit

For such a small aquarium that will be planted, should I buy a bubbler system? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Shayla

·
Registered
12 Posts
remember to cycle the tank first..... also the bigger the tank the easier the care will be. as for fish anything under 10 i would say betta the 12 i would think the guppies would be ok but not for sure wait for more advice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have a look at the mosquito rasbora not sure how easy they are to keep but they grow up to 20mm so you could get a nice little shoal in a small tank. From what I read there used to bad water conditions and low light environment. I have three otocinclus as my algae eaters, they do gravel, plants and glass and are quite small.

A water test kit(cheaper online but you got to watch out for expiry date) is a must unless you Local Pet Store does free testing. I got a small tank and it can be a night mare. Regular water changing is a must as ammonia can build up quite quick, live plants do help some with ammonia.

I'm glad I got a small tank to start with as it's made me more aware of the fishes environment and how quickly it can change. It has however been a challenge.

Good luck and someone more experienced will come along and give possibly better advice.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I wouldn't go with anything under 10 gallons, I think a 10 gallon will do you well. I would advise against guppies because in a few months time, you will be completely overrun with them (they are water-rabbits when it comes to breeding) and you will either have an overstocked tank or have to do a lot of culling. If you break up the sight line in a 10 gallon, you could have 5 female bettas, which would provide a nice, interesting tank, especially with dark gravel and live plants. As far as the snail, I would not put a mystery snail in a 10 gallon, personally. How about 2-3 Nerite snails? They come in different patterns. With bettas or small schooling fish, shrimp are likely snacks. Also, if you have your heart set on ottos, you have to wait a good 6+ months AFTER the tank has cycled to add them or they will starve. They are known for not eating algae wafers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts