Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I've got 4 Amano shrimp to go with the one I think I still have left in my 10g tank, and 4 Ghost Shrimp for my 20g tank, which are about half the size of the grown shrimp that were in there months before. Both were bought to replace some loses from both. The Amano shrimp, I original bought three, but two managed to get out of the tank and I didn't know until I've found their dried up corpses, and haven't seen the other one since, making it hard to tell if it was hiding or got out. The Ghost Shrimp I used to replace the ones that died in the tank. The sad thing about both is that I'll probably have to wait about a month before they become more out going without the fear of being somebody's lunch. What's even sad is that I have an algae growth in my 10g tank, which is what I've bought the Amanos for, and if I get the same results from last time, then I'll just buy a few Oto catfish. The algae growing used to be green, but it's starting to turn brown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you have a GH test kit? The reason I ask is, in order to molt (shed their exoskeleton and grow) the GH has to be a certain degree. A lot of times, people lose shrimp because they don't have a high enough GH (main component calcium) to allow them to molt properly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I have been finding my Amano Shrimp alive and well, hanging around one of my decoration, but the problem is finding out if it's every single one I have now or just the new ones. My new ghost shrimp on the other hand are half the size of my old ones, and thanks to some of my plants reaching to the tank and giving off that floating plant look, all my shrimp tend to hang out in them most of the time, making keeping track hard to do. I haven't found any corpses so far, which is always a good sign.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Then things seem okay, right? My amanos camouflage so well. The minute I feed the fish though, they come out and try to steal their food :|

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but the sad thing is, I've bought the Amano Shrimp to handle an algae outbreak in my tank, and most of time, they go after the food the fish missed. Ghost Shrimp I get a kick out of because sometimes when it comes to feeding time, one or two would swim to the top of the tank to grab a flake, or if they are on one of the plants, just try really hard to reach out and grab some.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What GH do Amano need? Im planning on a small school, That sucks LongtimeAquarist you might have to get otos...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As much as I want to get Otos, I can't because with the fish I have now, it would be overcrowding it a bit since their in a 10g tank, with a Male Betta who doesn't care about eating anything living and some baby platy to deal with since I've moved ma in there w/o knowing that female platys can keep popping for a long while.
Anyway, the amano shrimp do eat the algae, as long as I don't go overboard with the food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts