Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought Seamonkeys were a type of brine shrimp that were specially breed for kids. But I talked to a girl at a pet store that said she had used them as feeding for her fish and they worked fine ((and they were readily at pet stores AND toy stores)).
I did actually own these when I was younger, and they ARE very easy to look after, so they are a good alternative as far as maintenance goes. But are they suitable for fish?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
The "sea monkey" brand is uses a hybrid form, it is edible but more expensive. You can find a cheaper alternative at your lfs

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
musho3210 said:
The "sea monkey" brand is uses a hybrid form, it is edible but more expensive. You can find a cheaper alternative at your lfs
i dont think there brine shrimp im petty sure there triops. which are dif then brine and they only live up to 90 days :shock:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
90 days? Wow. Mind you I don't know how long regular brine shrimp live so I don't really have a comparison.

Well, if they are triops, are they still edible?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sea Monkeys aren´t Triops. They are a hybrid of Artemia Salina which is a species of brine shrimp. Triops are tadpole shrimp, class Notostraca. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
there fine for fish food but not really cost-effective theve been bred to be hardy pets not food but theres no harm in fish eating them,triops will get eaten too but only by larger fish (they grow to a good size and look like a small horseshoe crab) one thing that is usefull in the way of sea-monkeys is the small setups they are sold with work quite well for hatching the normal brine shrimp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts