Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The above "complete plant supplement" is a very nasty mix for some shrimp. Google "seachem flourish kill my shrimp" and another forum poster also complained of that

The "normal shrimp" (one that we normally give to big fishes ie transparent shrimp) would be ok with it, but the cherry shrimp will get "worry" ie starts to swim obsessively here and there and eventually it gets stunted (it will freeze) and when I poke it, it will start jerking around; i transferred such cherry shrimp into my old stable tank, and the CS eventually recovered ok

If I put my crystal red shrimp/bee shrimp, they would immediately try to swim near the water surface gasping for air somewhat and fall down to the bottom and then gets disorientated. And one of the CBS died even after transferring it to the old tank

Seachem should put up a note on the bottle that their product is nasty for sensitive shrimp

·
454 Posts
Hello and welcome. I am sorry you are seeing issue with it. Have you tested the parameters of that tank to be sure nothing else is amiss? Are you using the correct amount? Have you called or written to Seachem? Do you keep it in the fridge?{I always did} Did you shake the bottle properly before using it, and are you sure no one else has used whatever you are using to administer it for anything else? I never had any problems with it. Though have since stopped using all ferts except some root tabs. I don't keep high light stems anymore though...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did not contact Seachem yet as I am not in the resident country of the supplier

It is a new tank using H.E.L.P soil (mix of plant and shrimp HELP soil)
Of course I read the bottle to suit the volume of my tank

I have tested GH, pH, Nitrate, Nitrate, Ammonia, TDS= all look fine

The bottle is new, so no issue of keeping in fridge I guess, though I have kept it in there after the first usage. It was nearly full so that I didnt hear anything even shaking it. I am also using Seachem GH mineralize (aquavitro) and checked using the proper kit to ensure the GH was ok.

I also noted the SAME issue when I used that supplement into another tank containing Cherry Shrimp. Within 5 mins a few of the shrimps would get stunted/stiff. That was when I realised the link that Seachem Flourish is the culprit and not really compatible with shrimp (at least CS and CBS/CRS). I immediately changed the water in the affected tank (90%), and the CS seems to be doing ok now.

I think -most likely- it is the COPPER in the supplement that is causing the issue; though I dont have the copper kit to test that

The new tank - I have changed the water completely to "wash off" the supplement and will be testing again later tomorrow with a few of my Cherry Shrimp

·
454 Posts
The copper would make sense, if the levels are high enough. I wonder how much quality control there is, and if some batches could be higher, leading to what you are seeing.Hope you can find the answers. And post the results.

·
Registered
645 Posts
was this flourish excel or comprehensive? did you use any other ferts on the same day?have you dosed flourish daily in the tanks effected?do you have hard or soft water? how densely is your tank planted? what size is your tank? best to always research any chemicals you put in your tank, especially if you have inverts or scaleless fish.please answer all of these questions so the community can better assist you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi
I have tried putting in the CS (only briefly) about 5 mins (in the bigger tank, after changing the water almost entirely), but they seems to be staying at the/near surface only (tank is about 40cm depth, minus the soil)

I read the label carefully again (H.E.L.P Plant soil) and it seems the manufacturer (Japan) did not really recommend the soil for fishkeeping (and presumably if that is so, no no to shrimp also?).

The aquarium shop said it is ok for shrimp, but I guess the person was not really knowledgeable. Usually plant soil would have fertilizers I was told, and a minimum of 2wk is needed to somewhat 'normalize' the water. Also, the label mentioned that the soil is particularly not good if the tank has soil disrupting / digging fish

The soil would presumably hv somekind of formulation that releases/leach out minerals? and this makes it pretty hard for any plant supplements to be 'normal' when introduced, although following instructions/dose

I think I would have to discard the plant soil and replace it with shrimp soil sold by the same manufacturer

So, it seems Seachem may probably not the real culprit.

The other smaller tank where the CS also had the same problem upon Floursih introduction -- that tank only had about 20% of the plant soil, and 80% is shrimp soil - that probably explain the reaction noted earlier. They are still doing ok now, without any supplement in the tank

PS I am using comprehensive Flourish, not excel.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I used seachem flourish comprehensive in a RCS tank for a year with no issues at all.

·
454 Posts
You might want to ask a moderator to change the subject topic, to express your discovery. Kind of not fair to Seachem Flourish, and people searching, could skim the thread and miss where you said it is not the Flourish killing your shrimp. Hope you get the soil situation resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DKRST.. what sort of soil are you using?
Mine is from this company ADVANCED SOIL - H.E.L.P

I never thought of buying a pH meter, since I thought the kit should be ok, currently using API FRESHWATER kit - it was giving 6.4 pH a few days ago. With CO2 always ON and the lights were never off. However, yesterday, I received my new continuous pH meter, and surprisingly, the meter (without calibration) indicated the pH was 5.3. Err. that is wayyy below acceptable error. Now this is really strange. That could be an issue. After calibration, it seems the pH meter was about 0.4 unit over the actual reading. That means, it was even lower, ie 5.3-0.4..could be it was really 4.9.

Carole, forI'll try and contact the moderator and change the header to "Seachem Flourish - New Plant Soil - Shrimp issue".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts