Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When articles and people recommmend a minumum number of barbs (6-8) to form a school, do the barbs all have to be the same color?

Will tiger barbs school with albino tiger barbs, green tiger barbs, and/or gold tiger barbs?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not sure when it comes to tiger barbs but when my lone colombian tetra was put in a tank with some praecox rainbowfish (similer coloring) he joined up with them. He never followed around any other schools of fish though including other tetras so the coloring might be more important than the type of fish.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Neufusion said:
When articles and people recommmend a minumum number of barbs (6-8) to form a school, do the barbs all have to be the same color?
Not all barbs school. Cherry barbs are one of those that don't. They do not need to be kept in groups although they do better when kept in groups because they tend to display with each other a lot. It depends on what species you have.
Will tiger barbs school with albino tiger barbs, green tiger barbs, and/or gold tiger barbs?
Yes.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
FDStation152 said:
Not sure when it comes to tiger barbs but when my lone colombian tetra was put in a tank with some praecox rainbowfish (similer coloring) he joined up with them. He never followed around any other schools of fish though including other tetras so the coloring might be more important than the type of fish.
Another popular example is the schooling of neons and cardinals.:wink2:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
FDStation152 said:
most likely. in fact one of the local shops around here tends to keep them all in one tank and theyre all mixed together.
Agreed. Although I'd say it is very possible that they'll shoal as I had them before. Leopards actually do not appear to exist in the wild like the gold barbs(Barbus schuberti) and were said to be another variant of the zebra.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i haven't had any success mixing albino tiger barbs with other tiger colors (orange and green do just fine together).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I personally think it should be fine. They had some green tiger barbs with regular tiger barbs at my pet store and they are getting along well. I think you should try it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
IME
colour morphs of the same fish do school together given the lack of their own colour.
IE 1 green TB with 6 normal TBs will school with them but 3 green TBs with 6 normal TBs will tend to stick more with each other than the larger school.
however keep 6 of each and you will find they all school together.

as for LD they are again a colour morph of the ZD so yes they will school with ZDs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts