Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :)

I would like to redo my fresh water 100 gal. tank with sand and grow some plants with it. But there are so many different types. I am looking for some sand which is as white as possible and very very small like sugar size. Sugar size are they 1.7 mm size ?
And what type of sand should I get. I find a local store here selling some
sand basting sand which they claim are very white or cream white and the size is 1.7mm. Are they o.k ?

Thanks !

Sub0

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I am a saltwater reef keeper but have kept freshwater in the past. The sand will destroy the impeller of the filter. Not saying its bad all together. The fish love it, its just the grits of sand will get sucked up by the filter and tear up the magnet on the impeller. There is no way to stop this. Also plant roots wont get a good hold to secure there selfs down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Humm,
Thank you for the reply. I think I better think twice before I make this move (to Sand). I was wonder if I hang the filter higher up may be it wouldn't such up the sand. Specially I have guppies and neons in my tank only. They can't strip up the sand

Thanks !

Sub0

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
wont work. The fish will kick up the sand and thats when the sand grits get sucked into the filter.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have sand in my 30g and don't have a problem. I keep the area by the filter with a VERY thin layer of sand so it doesn't get sucked up. I also have a cave a few inches away from the intake on the filter so no one swims back there too fast so nothing gets kicked up. My guppies and swords love it. Haven't had a problem with the plants either. I very carfully just push my finger in the sand each time I do a water change to make sure it doesn't get compacted. I think it stays cleaner since there's really no creveses for gunk to fall in and hide. My shrimp take care of what's missed. I like the look of small stone gravel now more since I've been looking at the sand for 8 months now but I really don't have any complaints.

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Why not use a coarser sand rather than fine sand? You said you were wanting to change in order to be able to place plants in the tank. You really don't need to do that. You would need to add a growing medium for the plants to root. Sand isn't the best for that. Also, by changing substrates, you may run the risk of having to recycle your tank. Your tanks substrate is the largest media for "housing" you biological filter. Changing it could cause a problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
do go with a coarser grain if you want sand... fine sand can become easily compacted and choke your plants' roots. and maybe try putting some larger flat stones on top of the sand around the filter intake to keep it from getting stirred up so bad in that area. whatever you buy, make sure it hasn't been chemically treated or won't alter the ph of your water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all, I was thinking about using silica sand (1.7mm) which will give me more white color or there is another type call unimin silica sand which is more crystal clear color. I have to see the color of the sand in person first before I go for it.

Will go to a local fish store here. They have a few display maybe they can help me a little.

Sub0

·
Registered
481 Posts
I like the sound of the crystal sand. i'm going to look into that myself and maybe mix some in. I used a 2 bags of white sand and 1 of black so it looks more realistic but the crystal sand would make it perfect. :lol:

·
Registered
763 Posts
i use a quite heavy sand in my tank without proplems also the desighn of the filter decides if sand will get in there or not mine has overflow intakes at the top so ive never had sand in filter problems im not sure on the exact type but its almost orange in color

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Depending on how much sand you will be using, you may want to consider getting malaysian trumpet snails. They will stir the sand and keep it from compacting around the roots of the plants. This is especially useful if you plan to go heavily planted as it can be hard to get to the heavy planted spots to stir the sand by hand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchase some silica Sand (pretty white and very clean) Last weekend.
Start cleaning up the 25 gal tank and took me 3 hrs total to set it up.
No plants just rock and sand looks pretty good for a newbie.

Can't sleep all nite...lol, Move all my guppies and neon from a 100 gal tank to a 2 - 10 gal tank. Do the sand things again.

Now I have 2 tanks with no fish...lol. I am planning to let then sit for a few days and dump an algae eater and go from there.

Look pretty good so far. But have to control the algae growing for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts