Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be adding sand to the 125 soon. I've had a hard time deciding what to do, but I think I'm ready to move forward.... 1.5 bags (75 lbs) of pool filter sand, 1 bag (20 lbs) of tahitian moon sand, and 0.5 bags (10 lbs) of moonlight sand. so it will be tan with some mixed in black and specs of white. I think that's a good ratio. Anyone have mixed sand tanks?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Never mixed sand before but have some multi purpose sand that's mixed.

It has different color sand and smooth small gravel in it in. I think it looks good.

What you are planning sounds like a lot of work trying to get even portions through out that size tank!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to mix the sand in the bucket before I begin washing it. But yeah, it's more work than just doing all one kind. But is it going to be worth it.... What a major PITA to fix if I don't like it.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Yeah it sure will be a pain to fix! Hopefully it will come out the way you have envisioned! Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I think i may test it in another tank first....

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
All my tanks with sand are mixed. some are that soft bahamian sand mixed with tahitian moon sand (thats in my cory tank probably 10% tahitian moon but I kinda want more). my 75 is slowly mixing tahitian moon sand with some type of bright white sand Thats more 50/50 at the moment but it's going to take a while because I have a lot of plants and it was originally black and white gravel a mix of 75%white 25%black..I want the same with the sand. My cray tank. You saw that one..it's 90% white sand 10% tahitian moon. then my cichlids have and 25% black sand 75 % white. But I don't think my cichlids like my idea of sand ratios..they keep picking out the black sand and putting it in a pile in the back behind a rock hahah
From what I've found of all the sands I use .. the tahitian moon sand is super easy to add more after the fact..It doesn't make a mess. I never go with one color in my house..even my nightlight tanks are mixed lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts