Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My angels suffered a bit of red streaking. I was recommended to do a salt dip(since I don't have any meds on hand).

These are juvies, should I really be doing this?

If okay to do this:
How much salt should I be using?
How long should I dip each angel?
Are there any behaviors that I may take the wrong way but are okay?
Will the juvies be okay to go back into their main tank after a dip?

Tank specs(incase needed):
75 gallons
80F
tank mates: 23 rummy nose tetras and 1 rubbernose pleco

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer yet. I only know what I've read, I've never done a salt dip, so don't want to steer you wrong. It can't harm to go with the dilution listed on the label, that's a fairly low dose, but I don't know how much good it would do in a situation like this, either.

*bump* for someone who has more experience . . .

I hope your angels come through okay, hon. . .

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
anyways is the salt dip supposed to take the red streaks away? never heard of this but then again all my fish that went through what yours did and showed the streaks ended up dying...
I don't know, there is nothing in any of my fish health books to indicate that this is a situation in which salt can help, but I don't have the real life experience to advise. Still hoping someone sees this thread who does. . . :-(

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
:/ According to my fish disease books, it's a good tonic for ammonia poisoning which is what your little guys had. I'm really sorry, Fishy, I honestly don't know what happened with your one little fellow. :( 1 tsp of kosher salt per gallon shouldn't have had that effect on him, even for 10 minutes.

In the case of ammonia poisoning, the AQ salt helps with osmoregulation which helps to negate or minimize the effects of ammonia poisoning.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know Sakura. I'm totally stumped with him O.O He's still kickin tho!

The other guys that were dipped for 5 mins are doing excellently. They almost appear normal! They're back to greeting me when I come up to the tank. The other ones are still moping and pale in color. I'll get a bigger net/net them to dip them. I think they stressed out when I tried to capture them with the betta net. Also....I'm in the process of cleaning the bathroom and my hands have bleach on them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you go four posts up from yours (under Tropical fish diseases) and look for a link named "Important Articles" click it and there is a link for salt. I tried clicking it because one of my fish are constipated and won't eat peas the lil bugger so I'm hoping putting him into the quarantine with a small dose of salt will help my Glofish (part of the Danio Family) I just need to find out if my Glofish or Beta can tolerate salt. I know Tetras can't, but the two others I don't know. Anyway I'm not experienced enough to give you advice other then to email a senior member or look for that link. The page wouldn't open for me but it might for you. Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts