Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got rid of my Prizm Skimmer (POS) and bought a Coralife Super Skimmer. I realize that skimmers take a few days to break in, but my skimmer (the Coralife) doesn't seem to be doing much. Shouldn't it be bubbling? I don't have any fish in the tank right now could that be the reason (no waste). I only have some hermit crabs, snails, starfish, and a cleaner shrimp. Waiting for ich to go away (6 weeks; fish in HT). The water flow is wide open and the valve on the powerhead is at about 50% (what directions idicated to do).

I also bought a Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer 9w. Any of you that have one of these, are they supposed to make a low buzzing noise? At night when there is no background noise the Turbo Twist sounds loud. Is this normal??

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Marine1 said:
I just got rid of my Prizm Skimmer (POS) and bought a Coralife Super Skimmer. I realize that skimmers take a few days to break in, but my skimmer (the Coralife) doesn't seem to be doing much. Shouldn't it be bubbling? I don't have any fish in the tank right now could that be the reason (no waste). I only have some hermit crabs, snails, starfish, and a cleaner shrimp. Waiting for ich to go away (6 weeks; fish in HT). The water flow is wide open and the valve on the powerhead is at about 50% (what directions idicated to do).

I also bought a Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer 9w. Any of you that have one of these, are they supposed to make a low buzzing noise? At night when there is no background noise the Turbo Twist sounds loud. Is this normal??

Thanks in advance for any input.
I also have the CL 220 super skimmer and it took about a week before it did anything. as for the UV sterilizer I have the same one and mine has never made even a sound. I can never hear it. You might want to take that back and exchange it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for your input. I fixed the Turbo Twist noise problem. It turned out that the hose for the water flow was kinked which made the noise.

The Coralife Super Skimmer 65 is another story. I took the silencer off the air line and it started to work (bubbling), but it's so noisy. I also have a lot of micro bubbles comming out of the bubble production diffuser (I figure this has to do with the water level dial). I am just having all kinds of bad luck w/ this thing. Can someone shed some light on this subject please? :( :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fixed one problem and now have another

I fixed the skimmer so it now produces bubbles. I think I had a faulty air line silencer, so I drilled a hole and it is getting air in the system to create the bubbles in the collection cone. Now I have an overload of bubbles going into the tank and I can't adjust it to stop. Is this part of the break-in process; I hope?? I've played with both the water flow valve and the valve on the pump and I can't get the bubbles to stop overflowing into the bubble reduction box without a lot of water rapidly filling the collection cup. :cry: :x

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
There should have been a bubble collection box that came with it. If your not using that thats what its for. I have my 220 in the sump.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I am using it. Water is overflowing over the top creating more bubbles in teh tank. Yes, I have tried changing the water intake dial on the skimmer and the powerhead. I can't get it to work without all the bubbles spilling into the tank. I'm hoping after the break-in period it will be easier to adjust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: .

Marine1 said:
I am using it. Water is overflowing over the top creating more bubbles in teh tank. Yes, I have tried changing the water intake dial on the skimmer and the powerhead. I can't get it to work without all the bubbles spilling into the tank. I'm hoping after the break-in period it will be easier to adjust.
This worked for me. Grab a piece of sponge and place on the overfill of the skimmer. this will break up the bubbles before it hits the tank and you wont have those pesky bubbles everywhere. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts