Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Running air at night?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  fish monger 
Some people do this for the fish. It helps with gaseous exchange to provide more oxygen and decrease PH swings. I read that, a very accomplished natural planted tank aquarist who uses CO2 runs aeration for 14 hours after the lights have been turned off.

There are variables to consider. My tanks are low tech and I do no extra aeration. High tech CO2 set ups with specific controls would not need the added aeration either. It is the in between set up and stocking that might make one consider the night aeration.

I have no opinion on the issue at all. The aquarist I mentioned is Takashi Amano. Why he chooses to aerate isn't mentioned in the article I read in the November Special Issue Tropical Fish Hobbyist.

This is along the lines of what Mikaila mentioned. Mr Amano uses CO2 diffusion, mega light, and daily nutrient dosing. Those are not fish tanks, they are plant tanks that happen to have some fish. I suspect he uses night aeration to outgas the CO2.
That makes perfect sense and is a variable that would make one contemplate the night aeration. Just saying that it is not incorrect to suggest that it is a possibility to be considered in certain situations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.