Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, first off... Neat idea with the open forum between a poster and administrators..

Anyways, I came back. Why? Because I have been told by a few people who are in contact with me via email or text that they want to stop with this forum, they want to take breaks, they are hurt or feel disrespected or unwanted here. I don't like that.

I have also read some threads that yes, granted, the OP has made large mistakes... ("5 gallon betta community tank" is one of them) HOWEVER the way that the people have begun to approach the situation is atrocious at best... Calling someone names? Inappropriate. I talked to another new member, who posted on my sticky thread about Betta Compatability With Each Other... And told them to disregard another member's behavior and explained we are not all like that.

I don't like how people are being treated. I understand that there are stubborn people (aren't we all? :lol:) and this is an opinion and experience based forum.. But there is no reason for people to lash out as badly as I have seen in the couple days I have been back on this forum. Is there anything we can do, to encourage people to choose their words more wisely?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
*rubs forehead* Oh Sena, believe me, we've tried. And tried. We're still working on it and now that we have four new mods to bolster our numbers, hopefully the mod team can be a little more active in stepping in before things get out of hand.

I want to thank you for coming back to our forum and also for talking to new members and encouraging them to stay. That means a great deal.

If you want to provide us with the user name of members who have caught your eye with their negative posting, that would be helpful but I understand if you don't want to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely will... Sadly, it was also Mattsbettas, which surprised me. All I taught him on how to talk to others when concerning fish or anything else... And the way he talked to samiam... wow.

CrabbyTabby (noticed a few times... Blunt is different that outright rude)
WildBetta
lilnaugrim
Shaina (which dramaqueen dealt with the comment of her not caring for the fish dying)

LadyVictorian
Just my opinion but...I feel the OP is nothing more than a troll. Thus I feel this thread should be closed and the OP banned to prevent further drama within the community.
This was VERY unacceptable.

It did mellow out near the end, but the fact certain things were mentioned especially the quoted part... Unacceptable. Who wants to go to a forum that is similar to where I came from... "Yahoo Answers" bashed people so bad, they gave up on their hobby. I do not want, under any circumstance, for us to become that way.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
No, I don't want us to become that way either. We've had a few problems with CrabbyTabby. She's only just now come back to the forum after a long absence. :/ We'll look into this and keep an eye on these folks. Thanks, Sena.

Do you happen to have links to the threads where this happened?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Thanks, Sena.

Yeah, the community one. I admit we dropped the ball on that one. I can feel everyone's frustration but you are right. In situations like that, name calling will only make the OP more stubborn.

In the second thread . . . *sigh* As a result, Samian requested his/her account deleted. We're working with that person trying to encourage him/her to stay. Members who were especially harsh will most likely be hearing from us soon. I want to thank you for being so patient with everyone.

As a side note, we may close your compatibility thread since it is supposed to be reference really and not a conversation thread. We're in the process of closing most stickies.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I told them to ignore those comments, and pm'd them.

It would be nice to close the stickies... Would we be able to remove comments as well, to make it mainly the sticky itself without chat?

Reactions: Chesh

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Yes that is exactly one of our projects to work on. Clean out the stickies and lock them.
Good idea!!!

Reactions: Chesh

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Thank you Sena for calling our attention to these issues and I agree we need to work on these things and to keep and eye out for rude comments such as you have pointed out. Perhaps we need to close the 5 gallon betta community tank" thread I cringe every time I see it come up again. I did step in at one point and said no calling and to keep it on topic and things did calm down for awhile.

I will keep and eye on the members you mentioned when I am on the forum and thank you very much for all you do to help others and any new members that are having problems. We appreciate it !!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem. I just do not like reading emails or texts from locals who are saying this website has gone downhill. It sucks!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Yes it does !!!! Maybe since we have more mods now we can keep on eye on forum better I sure hope so. I want to do all I can to help make the forum strong and safe for all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think so too.

Also, I heard OFL left..? Is that true?

·
Banned
12,153 Posts
Yes OFL left due to personal reasons. I'm glad you came back. You're a valued member of this forum and I'm glad you let us know about members being rude to people, especially new members. We'll be keeping an eye on these members.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Sena I want to Thank You too for your efforts to bring threads back on track. We REALLY appreciate members who help with this.

:shock: "I just do not like reading emails or texts from locals who are saying this website has gone downhill." :shock: Ummm... texts? and emails?? Dare I ask who and where you are seeing this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some of the members on here I know personally, and have also traded fish/supplies with in person. One has my number, the others my email address.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts