Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever heard of one? Im just wondering cause i say it in a lf and it was a good looking fish.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Was it Rubber-lipped pleco?:) It does exist.:) I wonder where the pleco gang are.:squint:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've had one of those. it was a rescue from Petsmart. the person who fished out the dwarf puffer for me accidently caught it, and I wouldn't have noticed it if he hadn't. I say "rescue" because petsmart is such a bad place to buy fish... well he came down with this case of seizure inside the quaranteen tank and died... :cry:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've got one. Cute little devil, also a PetSmart buy. Got him as part of the cleaning crew for a 20 gallon tank with a baby painted turtle in it. He was the last two survivors after 6 months and a move to a 75 gallon. The turtle got every other member of the cleaning crew, and the rubbernose (which I think of as a bulldog pleco - same thing) was skinny as a rail. and about 1 1/2 long. Poor little critter. Put him back in a 20 gallon with lots of plants and small, peaceful fish (neons, pygmy corys, and ottos), and he's already grown 3/4" in 2 months.

Now, what reading I have done on these guys: They're a highland stream species, and can tolerate cooler water (down into the 60's) and like a current. They prefer a light, fine gravel substrate and like to hang out under rocks and driftwood. They lay their eggs under rocks too. They'd be on my list for a cool water river tank. My guy does a great job on Algae (comparable to his weight in bristlenose), and sucks down the shrimp pellets with abandon.

Of course, after the horrorshow of the turtle tank, he is skittish as all hell, and generally stays out of sight, but he's a cute little fellow, and I have found him very hardy indeed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know I want one.
Yes, I know that doesn't help. Sorry.
All I know is that they don't get huge and prefer slightly cooloer temperatures.
And they look cool... :wink:

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Nice plec, Jin.:thumbsup: Wish I could get one but I'm stuck to BN. I wouldn't get a common plec even for my arowana tank. Problem is they grow far too large and I don't want another big fish in my possession.:)

Good luck, Trreherd.:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
here is one of my little dudes, this is the L187b the striped version i have L187a as well the spotted but he is too small to photograph!!

L'Bells hit the nail on head with care requirements, oxygen and current a must

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
What is the maximum size of the rubber-lipped plec?:squint: I've been reading other forums and it appears some have them at almost 15 inches.:blink: Unless that person mistook the degree of measurement, it would surely be the largest.:shock2:

·
Registered
415 Posts
The two i mention above Blue, as far as im aware reach 4.7"sl and 3.9"sl for the L187a and L187b respectively.

These are the two Chaetostoma sp. (of which the commonly exported sp. of will be refered to as rubber plecos amongst other things) that are available in the LFS i frequent but the Chaetostoma sp. rio payamino certainly looks to be a large fish if you look at the pictures on planetcatfish. Its a sweet fish too! :D

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
xingumike said:
The two i mention above Blue, as far as im aware reach 4.7"sl and 3.9"sl for the L187a and L187b respectively.

These are the two Chaetostoma sp. (of which the commonly exported sp. of will be refered to as rubber plecos amongst other things) that are available in the LFS i frequent but the Chaetostoma sp. rio payamino certainly looks to be a large fish if you look at the pictures on planetcatfish. Its a sweet fish too! :D
Thanks, Mike.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I looked up Chaetostoma species (Rubberlips) on fishbase.org th'other day, and some of them get over 30 cm - that's a foot to Americans - but most species, including C. Thomsoni - the one that they get at Petsmart pretty frequently - top out at 4 or 5 inches (10 to 12 cm for those who prefer a less challenging system of weights and measures. :D)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The other problem in keeping these guys is in keeping them well fed. They eat a lot more than most of the other plecos, and are much more sensitive to their water quality and stress.
Awesome pics Jin... wish I could get one, but they haven't been available around here in years. I begged my boss to order me one, but they were never on any of our availability lists. I'm still waiting. :roll:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts