Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I gave a fisher price toy aquarium to my granddaughter for her crib and decided to try the real thing for myself. I have a 5 gal and 10 gal set up with plants and community fish. I have been keeping copious notes and am learning for the big one. I am intrigued with what can be done with aquascaping in a low maintenance natural aquarium. Last week I learned about the nitrogen cycle the hard way - cloudy water. The tank is not new. The water is now clear and I lost only one male guppy to the ammonia spike. Root cause - aggressively cleaning the filter, thereby killing good bacteria. Arrgh! It all seems so simple now. I also discovered softness of our water here in Langley, BC, is a whopping..... 0! I've been treating the replacement water and notice fish colors are now vibrant! Anyhoo, looking forward to sharing and learning in this forum. Oh, the subject line is reference to developing a hobby that I will take into retirement in a few years, when I can play like a child again.

Cheers all,
B.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Those Fisher Price aquariums are amazing aren't they? I buy one for each new arrival in our lives. I'm assuming that we'll have a new batch of fish keepers in 10 -15 years :)

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hello and welcome.
i hope you'll enjoy your stay here with us. :-D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts