Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a tank to over 25 years very basic. My last fish just died at 12 years old. I am looking for advise on restarting. I am looking for new filter recommendations appreciated. Looking for advise on what to add to the tank, rock and or plant wise, what type of fish to add. Trying to make colorful.

Any advise appeciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well I use my pentagon as my discus tank..

Some people would say a 55g is min.. but honestly.. 44g and 55g isn't much of a difference.. and currently My discus are only 2- 3 1/2 inches in size.. I have 8 of them.. and yes I know that's too many for adults.. I plan to move some to my 55g when they get bigger..

But I love my pentagon is my fav tank in the house.. All I have in it are 25 neon/cardinals and 8 discus.. 2 orange discus, 2 blue turquoise, 1 Blue Snake Skin, 1 Leopard snakeskin, and 2 babies that haven't colored up yet.

I have water sprite on sucktion cups for the 2 back panel glass pieces . and a big wisteria for the very back of the tank, and I have 2 bushy Telethanra cardinalis in the center with 2 bushy bunches of Green Combamba.. I originally wanted black gravel or some form of black FloraMax substrate... But I opted to keep the regular orangish pebbles the previous owner had in the tank when I got it.. To save money.. I just added another 10lbs to make it 3 inches thick..

Originally I had 2 Top Fin internal 40 filters.. But I just got a Eheim 2217.. Been running for 5 days and I like this filter much better.. Only thing is the flow is a tad too strong for the pentagon so a 2213 or 2215 might have been a better choice.. I added an extension to the spray bar and that helped a lot though. So now flow is perfect.

Im using a Power Compact light.. a duel 6700/6700k light and Actinic 420/460 to make the colors pop. (im sick of the yellow color 6700/10k lights make my tanks)

Originally I have a giant piece of driftwood I found in my reservoir behind my house.. I can sell that if you want.. It fits perfect in the 44g hex.. But I took it out.. to give my discus more room since they were getting bigger

First2 pic is with the driftwood im talking about.. third pic is without my driftwood and my tank currently.. I used slate stones to make the little cave thing.. And im sure you can tell the actinic lights on in the pics without the driftwood as the colors are better looking.. Ignore the floating combamba on the slate.. I have been gone over the weekend and never planted it yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you CandymanCan. I appreciate teh advise and will look into the plants and filters you recomend. Your tank looks like what I have in mind.
I love your aquarium set up. I showed my wife the driftwood, she believes it would be too dominating in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts