Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this site and to tropical fish keeping.
I have a 10 gallon aquarium with live plants, 2 flame gouramis and 3 cories.
I purchased a resin arch ornament that I thought would look nice from an online aquarium supply site. It has a distinctive odor and I'm wondering if it's safe to put in the aquarium. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi merri and welcome. In the first instance and as a general rule I follow. If it smells bad then it probably is. But exceptions to the rule. May I recommend sticking
It in the sun outside for a week to see if the smell dissipates( being new) or soak it in a bucket of water with some activated carbon as well to see if it removes the smell and any toxins. Just my advice. Hope it helps
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My son recently added two very small resin decorations to his Glofish tank. They were rated for aquariums and he rinsed them thoroughly. Within 8 hours he lost 4 fish. We removed them and did a 60% water change. No additional losses. The advice regarding "curing" is good. I have a very large resin driftwood feature that has caused no problems and looks very natural. I guess you just have to check your sources carefully. If at all possible, I only purchase products made by companies with trusted names in the business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone, for the information. It didn't occur to me that these ornaments could be toxic, but I'm still learning. The ornament is a little bit larger than I envisioned, so I think I'm going to hold off using it until I set up a larger aquarium. And now I know to use caution when adding decor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts