Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my celestial pearl dario are super super shy. I have a large ornament they always hide behind/under.

I hardly ever see them. I added some chili rasbora to see if it should help them feel less skittish. Didn't work. Would it be okay to remove the ornament so that they come out more? Or would it be too stressful for them? There are a bunch of plants as well.

Thanks

(will try and attach pic soon)
Edit: link to pic https://www.dropbox.com/s/ispcnxei5iyit ... 807074.jpg

Edit 2: there are currently 11 cpd in the tank

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
I would suggest some floating plants. Even a plastic bushy one resting on the surface (until you can get something live) is enough to ease the stress level. It worked in less than an hour for my Honey Gourami who was hiding behind a rock and wouldn't move. He came out and started swimming the tank and he hasn't been fearful since. Give it a try! Let us know if it works.

Reactions: willow

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm not sure I would move it, since it would stress them out if they have nowhere as good to hide. I don't know much about these danios but aren't they active fish? Seems like something would be wrong if they are constantly hiding in one place. If they are new maybe they just need to adjust.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Ahhh Glad you fixed it! VERY NICE TANK!! That IS a completely open surface even tho you HAVE some of those plants. I'm talking about COMPLETELY covering overhead. If you can see my Aquarium tab... go to the 75 gallon. Of the 7 pics, bottom right. The whole top of the aquarium is covered by Giant Vals across the front.
I recently tripled the amount of plants floating on my 10 Gallon with the Honey Gourami in the tab for the 10 gal and Baffled the HOB as you can see from the photo that the water flow was pushing the plants to the bottom.
Do you also have too much filtration?

Another month from now and it's gonna be breath taking!!

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
I think it's good that you baffled it. Well in the case of my tank the floating plants are all across the front half of the tank... the vals come up from the 2 back corners and travel across the front. The lights are across the back half of the tank. That entire 75 is all live plants, no plastic so you can see that light will still get to the bottom. Everything is thriving.

Do you have a couple of old plastic ones to lay on the surface for a day or two to see if there is a change in behavior? Like I said, my Gourami changed within an hour of creating a sense of security overhead.

Do you have the right temperature for them? Are you housing in the right numbers? Which leads to my next question... Is this a 10 gallon tank? That seems very small... how many fish are in this tank? This can have a huge bearing on this too.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Since it is a 10 Gallon, I was going to say, take out the huge ornament. BUT, they aren't very big are they? Largest ever recorded was 21mm?!! That's less than an inch!! SF profile says to try for groups of 20... temp from 20C-26C which is 78.8F so 80 it's a touch high. I would try the floating plant and see what happens...just lay it on the surface and give them some time. Keep us posted!!

Are they coming out to feed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
nope, which is why i am dropping a bunch of food, to make sure they at least get something. and it is causing a pond snail explosion. lol.

and yea, they are super small, all under an inch. when i ordered them, i didnt really take into account how small that really is.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Are things any better today? I think it's been a week... almost 2 since you started this thread. Any progress at all? Are they eating?

Reactions: jentralala

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i do occasionally see them eating, but it will only be if they are kind of out and hovering towards the corner and the food sinks near them. outside of that, they do not do not come to the front, or anywhere near mid to top level of the tank to eat. so i cant really tell if all are eating, or if they are getting enough.

i have been floating more and more ricci fluitans. hopefully adding my fake plant will help more

·
Registered
840 Posts
A big wad of hornwort makes an excellent floating hideout for skittish fish, and the foliage is sparse enough to let light through and let you see your fish.
Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so i tried this baby brine shrimp thing that has them preserved in salt water mix. they love it. but that is really the only time they all come out and chow down.

i bought some more plants, have more ricci floating and about 4 stems of anacharis floating.

i am happy that they are at least eating, even though i dont seem them all that often. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.