Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! For the past week or so I've had a zebra Danio who was looking more ill by the day. He was getting very thin and had the bent spine going on. Of course I immediately jump to fish TB but he is almost 2 years old so I think it's more likely old age. He was eating and swimming until about two days ago, then began to just hang around more. This morning he was on the bottom of the tank under a plant, not moving and not noticeably breathing. When I went to net him, he did swim just a bit but once in the net did not move. I didn't want to out right kill him but I had to get to work and didn't want to leave him for the others...I put some tank water in a bowl and put him in. He hardly moved. Now I'm at work and worrying if I did the right thing. I didn't want him to die while I am at work and risk the rest of the fish eating him, especially if it isn't old age and is some sort of disease.

Has anyone removed a dying fish like this? Do you normally just leave them in the tank? Do you euthanize? I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance as I feel very bad for the little guy and my son was very upset (it's technically his tank).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello Katy...

I can only tell you what I do in these cases. I leave the fish alone and when it passes, I net it and remove it from the tank. As for your son, I'd explain that nothing lives forever and you needed to remove the dead fish or it could create a water problem that might make the other fish sick.

M

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ughhh I hate explaining to my 4 yr old daughter when fish die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! My son is 11 and we have lost fish along the way, he gets sad but he understands. My real concern here was removing a fish who was clearly on his way out so that he did not die in the tank while I was at work and risk the remaining fish eating him and risk getting sick if he was in fact infected with something.

I had taken him out and put him in a bowl of tank water while at work, that is what I was feeling bad about. I project too much emotion onto these little guys and felt very bad removing him from his home when he wasn't well. I returned from the office and he was still alive so I put him back in the tank, he died a few hours later and we had a proper funeral.

I just wondered what others do, do they remove a fish who is clearly dying?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If a fish is clearly dying.. I throw it in a jar and add fair amount of clove oil. They pass away very smoothly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts