Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with some regret that I was dismissed from the moderator 'team'. However, I do not regret the posts I made that led to this as I believe they were accurate, honest and truthful. I truly feel I did not deserve this treatment and I am glad I did not reduce my character by remaining silent. I am disappointed by the silent acceptance of most of my fellow moderators. I know full well that you all agree with my posts and they were in the best interests of the forum team and the community.
Shame on most of you.
Of course, I stopped posting and I will be leaving the forum. I wish you all the best of luck moving forward as it seems clear you will need it.

I have sent an employee grievance to VericalScope HR.

-Mike

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Mike,

Not sure if you'll be back to check this thread out but I can assure you that we've met multiple times on what happened with you and Byron. As recenty as last night via. Skype.

Yes, I'm sorry about the way things went down. If you want to chat, send me a pm.

Take care in the meantime,
Roberta

·
Banned
12,153 Posts
I'm not happy at all about this. Maybe my not speaking up more makes me look bad but there are several reasons. I was afraid of getting demodded for speaking up. I've also been stressed out because of my move to Texas and all the crap we're dealing with in purchasing a house. Mike, you know I support both you and Byron and I wish we could get this resolved.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your clearly not the only one. It's sad when some don't do the right thing, especially for fear of losing an honorary title on a fish forum. There's been some 40+ reads on this thread...and two responses!

I'm not happy at all about this. Maybe my not speaking up more makes me look bad but there are several reasons. I was afraid of getting demodded for speaking up. I've also been stressed out because of my move to Texas and all the crap we're dealing with in purchasing a house. Mike, you know I support both you and Byron and I wish we could get this resolved.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Honestly, I haven't been around because of this drama (From Yung)

I didn't expect it to explode into you being demodded and Byron retiring though. It is a shame. Unfortunately, to me, the 'right thing' is to likely wash my hands entirely of the moderator status and let Yung crash it all. It is silly: Scared to speak up on a fish forum because the boss might get mad? Its official, this is no longer a fun hobby, as much as I do care about this forum and all the members.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Since I don't really know you that well, being a new mod and all...

I know you are upset, but I don't know what the basis of your accusation is. If I may speak for myself, this isn't some kind of tyranny where I'm afraid of the dictactorship. The situation was simple to me, I don't dislike you, Mike, and I don't dislike Yung. the majority of the mod drama is on tfk, so I simply went around and did my business on betta fish. I did not have anything to say in your defense... No matter what, it's always sad to lose a mod.

That said, why not look on the bright side? there's always that silver lining waiting for you to realize that it's there. Real life is so much more important, I'm not sure if you can even put "moderating a fishforum" on your resume. Step away from this virtual world, take breath of fresh air, and when you look back, you will realize what you left behind isn't as significant and overwhelming as you thought it was when you were right infront of it.

Feel better soon Mike.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you disqualify yourself by your BF affiliation, I'm not sure why you commented here, but I'll respond...

I was punished for defending four moderators I felt were being treated unfairly. I didn't think Byron deserved to be attacked for his posting style and I certainly didn't agree with the admin leave for over a week. Finally, the solution to the perceived (largely invented) problem does not address the root cause.
(Oh yea, and in private discussions, EVERYONE else feels the same!)

As a member of the supposed "team", I felt obligated to make the observations I did. I wouldn't change a thing because I apparently realize better than most that getting 'fired' from a job in the virtual world that has no salary, benefits or rewards is not a big deal. I'm not upset, I'm just disappointed in others that choose look the other way in the face of unfair treatment.

As far as a resume, retiree's don't need one. :)

Since I don't really know you that well, being a new mod and all...

I know you are upset, but I don't know what the basis of your accusation is. If I may speak for myself, this isn't some kind of tyranny where I'm afraid of the dictactorship. The situation was simple to me, I don't dislike you, Mike, and I don't dislike Yung. the majority of the mod drama is on tfk, so I simply went around and did my business on betta fish. I did not have anything to say in your defense... No matter what, it's always sad to lose a mod.

That said, why not look on the bright side? there's always that silver lining waiting for you to realize that it's there. Real life is so much more important, I'm not sure if you can even put "moderating a fishforum" on your resume. Step away from this virtual world, take breath of fresh air, and when you look back, you will realize what you left behind isn't as significant and overwhelming as you thought it was when you were right infront of it.

Feel better soon Mike.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I was punished for defending four moderators I felt were being treated unfairly. I didn't think Byron deserved to be attacked for his posting style and I certainly didn't agree with the admin leave for over a week. Finally, the solution to the perceived (largely invented) problem does not address the root cause.

As a member of the supposed "team", I felt obligated to make the observations I did. I wouldn't change a thing because I apparently realize better than most that getting 'fired' from a job in the virtual world that has no salary, benefits or rewards is not a big deal. I'm not upset, I'm just disappointed in others that choose look the other way in the face of unfair treatment.

This is it in a nutshell.:-(

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
As for commenting...you did say there was 40 reads and only two responses, I thought that speaking my mind about this issue might make you feel less ignored :p

As opposed to feeling punished... why not see it as a new found freedom? Maybe... think of it as being the end of a relationship gone wrong (which is really what the relationship between you yung and the other mods looks like to me). As you said in your initial post, you don't regret the decisions that you've made as they were honest and truthful. Even if I don't see things the same way, I do respect that quality of yours (on top of your fish keeping experience and knowledge, of course).

It is an unhappy moment as TFK loses another of its experienced fish keeper, long standing member and friend, but I know it will also make you unhappy to remain here and be reminded of the recent events. Where ever you are headed next, I sincerely wish you all the best. May you bring the happiest TFK memories with you as you set off to your next destination.

Ao
(Kitty)

Since you disqualify yourself by your BF affiliation, I'm not sure why you commented here, but I'll respond...

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
If I may say, its not entirely his fault.
He wanted us to manage ourselves. We weren't able, so he made a judgement call with limited information. The thousands of happy members didn't complain, but we lent our ear to the two or three complainers, and became unsure of ourselves.

For some reason, we (the team) seem prone to inner conflict. I think young would gladly step back and let us run day to day decisions, if only we were able.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
If I may say, its not entirely his fault.
He wanted us to manage ourselves. We weren't able, so he made a judgement call with limited information. The thousands of happy members didn't complain, but we lent our ear to the two or three complainers, and became unsure of ourselves.

For some reason, we (the team) seem prone to inner conflict. I think young would gladly step back and let us run day to day decisions, if only we were able.
Exactly what I've felt all along. We kept butting heads over the issue, couldn't agree on what to do, threw our hands up in frustration and pushed it onto Yung to "fix it". We'll never fully agree on the outcome either.

Let this be a lesson to us in the future. We've got to go with the majority and not the minority when these situations are brought up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts