Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently (about 2 and a half months ago) started a 10 gallon freshwater community tank. The original inhabitants were 5 neon tetras, but the number has been reduced to 4, and as a gift from my girlfriend's mother I recieved 2 dalmation mollies and two scissortails, as well as 5 ghost shrimp. I did at one point have a pleco, but after a week and a half I mysteriously found him dead. The tank has properly cycled by now (to my knowledge at least), but there has been a lot of orangish growth. It wasn't too noticable, but now it's starting to thicken and seems to be taking over. Is this a normal growth, or should I find some kind of product to remove it? Should I give a pleco another shot?
TIA

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everywhere. I have fake decorative plants, and those are covered, a plastic rock cave that is covered, the gravel is becoming coated, and now it is sprawling up the glass sides. You can only see the growth on the glass if you really look, but there was one particular spot on the glass where a small dot grew to the size of a quarter after a few weeks (brownish orange mold, I searched but couldn't find any picture example). I scraped the spot off with my small fish net, but what to do about all of the other stuff growing is over my head.

I'll keep hunting for a picture to help describe it.

Edit: Possibly brown algae? If that's the case, would a small pleco help to keep it at bay with the ghost shrimp helping out? I'll try keeping the light on for shorter periods of time. I usually turn it on when I wake up at around 7-9 and turn it off around 11.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi I will start out with your dyeing fish. If your tank has just been cycled, than neon tetra's arent a good idea because they arent very hardy these days. Thats why you lost one. I'm surprised you havnt lost anymore. When I first started my tank and it was done cycleing i put 2 pleco's in my tank and they died within a week. And your's dyed because there wasnt any algea for him to feed off of is my closest guess. thats why I think mine died. Did you ever feed him algea wafers? I feed mine that every day or every other day.

About the you say ' orangish' growth. We will have no clue unless you take a picture of the tank, the glass, and/or the gravel/decorations that it is on. It may just be the common algea if your tank has been established for 2 months. Please post pic's of your tank.

Nick

·
Registered
620 Posts
I dont know about that. I had only had my 55 gallon for about a month in a half and I had to scrape the glass and the gravel was getting covered in the algea, as well as the decorations. Yes it was just the common algea. THe only way we can tell is by him posting pictures.

Nick

·
Registered
620 Posts
Was that towards me? well I'll answer it anyway
I used to turn them on when I woke up, and than when i went to bed, so they would be on anywhere from 10-12 hours, which is the recommended time anyway. Now I have a timer for my light and it turns on @ 9:30 and turns off @ about 9:30 so now about 12 hours. I might be making shut off time @ 9 and than turn on still @ 9:30.

Nick

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oops sry lets wait for him to reply instead of clogging up his thread k :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My light timing is in my second post of this thread.

Uploading a picture isn't possible at this time, but the tetras seem to be doing great. The mollies even had a bunch of fry, which I moved to another tank. All of the fish are doing great, I just wondered if the growth was standard algea or if it was some kind of fungus that shouldn't really be there. No, the tank is not near a window. It's in a basement-like setting, with only a small (1 foot tall) window on the other side of the room.

My semi-educated diagnosis would be just brown algea... I'll more than likely pick up a small pleco to help keep stuff clean.

My filter cartridge is clogged by the end of every day, probably because of this growth, but all I have to do is take the cartridge out and clean it. I'm not concerned of this affecting the bacteria colonies since there is also a sponge medium meant for the bacteria, the cartridge is just for waste and the like.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes, you may just try having your lights on for about 10 hours. I'm glad all of your fish are doing good. I would figure its just brown algea...but your filter cartridge gets clogged at the end of everday? thats really weird. I hope when you clean them you are cleaning them in tank water? Tap water contains chlorine and chloramine and other stuff so you should always clean the cartridge in tank water. Like when doing a water change.

I would fully recomment doing a full clean sweep of the tank. That includes getting a new scrubber and wiping the algea off of the glass. Doing a gravel vac to help with the gravel being covered. Taking the decorations out and cleaning them. And while doing that maybe a water change. Because your filter shouldnt be getting clogged by the end of the day. When cleaning decorations only use hot water and a clean scrubber. We dont want no chemicals in the tank. Hope this helps

Nick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use the sink for it, but the water we have isn't chlorinated or anything. I cleaned the stuff off the glass and did some gravel cleaning during my last water change, and the filter doesn't clog as much now. There are a total of thirteen fish (including the shrimp) in a ten gallon tank, so I'm not surprised that the little filter clogsup that quickly. It looks like it's just algea that's kicked up by the fish and the shrimp.

Again, the health of the fish is no concern since they are all doing great and have been for quite some time. My only casualty was an eel that I didn't even know I had... it was a present someone put in my tank while I was at work and it escaped before I got home. I found it behind the tank on the floor. I shortened the time that the light is on by a couple hours, so it should help trim algea growth.

Thanks for your answers, everyone.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Great job :mrgreen: ! I'm glad to hear that your filter doesnt clog as much now. Your lucky your water doesnt have chlorine it it :x lol. i hope your not adding anymore fish as it seems a little tidy right now. Ever thought of an upgrade :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't afford an upgrade at the moment, but no I don't intend on adding any more. In fact I was going to stick with just the 4 tetras, but I had no say in the new additions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts