Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a bottle of flourish comprehensive. I was reading the back of the bottle and it says that is is recommended you refrigerate it after opening. Does anyone do this?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I do keep mine in the refrigerator. I have seen others here that don't. Also I remember reading on a post some one had contacted the company asking about this. From what I remember the reply that they got back is that you can either refrigerate or not, will not harm or change the product in any way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would they put that on there then if it made no difference???

(I keep mine in the fridge.)
I'm wondering the same thing. I think I am going to refrigerate mine just to be on the safe side unless someone says otherwise. Maybe it lasts longer when refrigerated?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do the same, don't know if it makes any real difference. The bad thing was the first time I went to use it after having placed it in the fridge. I forgot at first that it was in there and was driving myself crazy trying to figure out where I had placed it
Hahaha thats too funny. I'll probably end up doing the same thing at one point. I'll probably empty out my enitre stand before I remember its in the fridge

·
Registered
413 Posts
Haha, you're gonna grab that flourish and put it on your steak one day. Just wait. :)

Its just as bad as my mom giving her dog algae tablets on accident because they were next to the treats. Funny thing is the dog ate it and she didn't realize it until I looked at her like she was crazy..

·
Registered
107 Posts
You guys are cracking me up! It *does* smell like steak sauce! Mine is in the fridge too - next to the Steak Sauce!! HA HA HA. My husband has picked it up a few times, wondering what it was, and once he reads it I get the eye roll. :)

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I keep my jug in the wine fridge:lol:. I figured it would not be as "cold" as the main fridge.

I did have a jug go "off" once before I refrigerated it. I've no idea if it was still effective or not, but it had a very dark, near-black colour. I had had it opened for a while and I thought nothing of it until I opened the new jug and noticed it was brownish and much lighter. I have not had any change in appearance since I have been keeping it cool.

It is odd that Seachem did say it didn't matter when one of us asked. I must say things like that bother me.

Byron.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Ditto I obey the bottle, its next to the steak sauce since they smell similar.
LOL. Just for the record, I would not put anything that smelled like Comprehensive on my steak.

And I keep it in the fridge. Cuz I was told to by the bottle.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm the one who contacted them, it seems like they have good support but, like Byron said, their answer was weird. Here is the email:

"I was wondering why refrigeration recommended but not necessary for most of your products. *I was mainly concerned with Flourish comprehensive. *Also, if you open but do not refrigerate for a while, is it harmful to then start refrigerating, or if you refrigerate it then will it spoil if you decide to stop refrigerating it, or you forget to put it back in the fridge for a while?"

Hello Scott,
* *Thank you for using our products and for your question. *None of the Flourish products have shelf lives, and they will therefore not go bad, whether or not they have been refrigerated. *In all honesty, we do not refrigerate any of the products that we use on our tanks here at Seachem. *Refrigerating them may cut down on the potential of any type of bacterial growth that may occur, though this is really uncommon. *You can refrigerate the products at any time, if you so decide, and if you forget to place it back in the fridge, there is no issue. *We hope this information helps and that you have a wonderful day!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm the one who contacted them, it seems like they have good support but, like Byron said, their answer was weird. Here is the email:

"I was wondering why refrigeration recommended but not necessary for most of your products. *I was mainly concerned with Flourish comprehensive. *Also, if you open but do not refrigerate for a while, is it harmful to then start refrigerating, or if you refrigerate it then will it spoil if you decide to stop refrigerating it, or you forget to put it back in the fridge for a while?"

Hello Scott,
* *Thank you for using our products and for your question. *None of the Flourish products have shelf lives, and they will therefore not go bad, whether or not they have been refrigerated. *In all honesty, we do not refrigerate any of the products that we use on our tanks here at Seachem. *Refrigerating them may cut down on the potential of any type of bacterial growth that may occur, though this is really uncommon. *You can refrigerate the products at any time, if you so decide, and if you forget to place it back in the fridge, there is no issue. *We hope this information helps and that you have a wonderful day!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for posting that again, remember having read it awhile back

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Yes, that makes a bit more sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.