Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am keeping a young RBS with one SAE, a tiny school of ember tetras, and 2 amano shrimps.

I gave the shark a cut of the melon rock that I was also eating since it was so good. He ate all of it and now he's fat and become territorial? He's always been peaceful until the rock melon food festival.

1. Is this normal behavior?
2. Is rock melon harmful to this fish?

This is a 20 gallon long tank (90cm), heavily planted.

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
551 Posts
I get your Redtailed Black Shark is young, but I feel that a 20 gallon is just to small and might be why it became territorial. Eventually its going to need a 60 gallon or above. I'm not sure what rock melon is, but if its similar to cantaloupe or honeydew melon your RBS should be alright, just make sure that you only give it tiny amounts in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get your Redtailed Black Shark is young, but I feel that a 20 gallon is just to small and might be why it became territorial. Eventually its going to need a 60 gallon or above. I'm not sure what rock melon is, but if its similar to cantaloupe or honeydew melon your RBS should be alright, just make sure that you only give it tiny amounts in the future.
I had a red tail shark in my 100-gallon tank years ago. They are carp and act like carp. They will grow to the size of the tank. They eat anything and everything and are just as dirty as their close cousins - Gold Fish. I had to eventually let my red tail loose in a local river where it was spotted off and on for over 5 years; almost a foot long and looking for a free meal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts