Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
GalaxyGirl said:
Arent rummy nose tetras a bit harder to care for? Dont they require a certain PH or something?
They do not require certain pH at all but these fish can be quite sensitive to ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. These fish are also likely to be stressed and mortality rate during transport is often high however once they are acclimated, these fish can be very hardy and will live very long.:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Blue said:
GalaxyGirl said:
Arent rummy nose tetras a bit harder to care for? Dont they require a certain PH or something?
They do not require certain pH at all but these fish can be quite sensitive to ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. These fish are also likely to be stressed and mortality rate during transport is often high however once they are acclimated, these fish can be very hardy and will live very long.:)
Oh, okies, thank you! I remember I wanted to start out with Rummynose Tetras, then found out I shouldnt. But now ill remember this for when I start a new tank :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine have always been aggressive. I'm planning on adding one soon to my 55g. They do get large too I have a friend with 3 of them and they are about 6 inches and beefy looking. At that size they don't seem aggressive. They are actually skittish in his tank.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
firefiend said:

this has been my experience. Red Tails are my fav fish. I've kept them for many years until about a year ago when I moved cross country, and I plan on getting them again.....
These fish are awesome and though they may be a bit more complicated for a beginner, I highly reccomend them.
I've trimmed the above quote to leave enough so you can tell what I am talking about.

I want to say that this is one of the very best posts I've seen here. Well written and very informative. While I do not have a place for an RTBS in any of my tanks just now, I will certainly keep them in mind as a fish for the future.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.