Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2 inch red tail shark that doesn't seem to like the flakes or algae wafers but instead nibbles on the pebbles, rocks and plastic plants. I know he's probably surviving off scraps and algae but I want to give him something he enjoys to eat. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Frozen bloodworms would get him on a feeding frenzy status :D Black sharks nibble at gravel all the time, it's in their nature to forage like that, no worries.

-William

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... it seems he decided to munch on the quarter algae wafer I put in his cave yesterday. Maybe he likes stale food? :D I got two angelfish for buddies today so maybe some competition will give him some motivation.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Live blackworms are #1 for picky eaters but they might be hard to find. Try frozen brine shrimp too.
Good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the luxury to feed my fish live or frozen food as the wife would have a hissy fit if she knew I kept stuff like that around the house :| So far I've had the best luck with the algae wafers. The RTS didn't care much for the brine shrimp meal or the dried blood worms. I usually get them used to eating flakes but this one doesn't seem interested in them. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Reactions: rsskylight04

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't have the luxury to feed my fish live or frozen food as the wife would have a hissy fit if she knew I kept stuff like that around the house :| So far I've had the best luck with the algae wafers. The RTS didn't care much for the brine shrimp meal or the dried blood worms. I usually get them used to eating flakes but this one doesn't seem interested in them. Thanks for the suggestions :)
I know what you mean... I have to hide my frozen foods so wifey won't see and freak out.
Good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good news... the little RTS came around and is eating the flakes. I think he learned from the Angelfish who take no time to chase and devour them. Sometimes I forget Angels are Cichlids. The second day I had this shark, he was exploring the top of the tank and apparently jumped out and into the power filter. I have no idea how but he ended up in the little compartment where the inlet and the motor/propeller is. When I realized he was missing and searched frantically all over the tank, I thought he had literally disappeared. This little guy is nothing but trouble... think he's going to be my favorite fish in the tank :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ah looks like he finally discovered what the angels were snacking on haha good tastey stuff.. Glad to hear he is learning to go for flakes now.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I love redtails... so much personality, nice to hear that he's eating they can be very quirky.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
I think you'll get better feeding response to NLS pellets. NLS Thera-A is a really good high quality food. The algae wafers are ok but the red tail is an omnivore so that will not spark a ton of interest.. more like a last resort when they are hungry. A fun way I like to add veggies into my tanks is by slicing a zucchini and using a suction cup veggie clip sticking it to the tank wall. Your angels will love that too. But do give the NLS a try.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't have guessed the red tail is an omnivore, maybe it's still too small to act like one :p I like the zucchini idea. I'll try it and see if I get a response.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Just leave it in for half a day or maybe 1 day. It could take a few times for it to recognize the zucchini as food.. But once they do it's usually fun to watch them eat it .

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts