Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a fairly good planted tank and i was wondering if my red eye's will destroy my plants and if i should remove them asap. i know they can be nippy but i havent read anything about them liking plants :/

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
In my experience, they don't.:) Are those red-eye tetras the ones with the scientific name Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae?:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
So, are you planning to get red eyes? :D

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
If there is one thing that I don't see in them, they aren't that nippy or as vicious as the serpaes. Neither do I view them as plant eaters as some people claimed. If they did, they were hungry and plants are often the last resort to appease their appetite. I had them before along with several tetras but the only tetras I've witnessed nipping are serpaes, black skirts and penguins. Penguins aren't that vicious nippers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kk thx blue

PS: no i have them i was just wondering since i just set up my 110 with plants etc..

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've got six red-eyes as dither fish in the loach motel. They maybe nibble on the plants occasionally, but not so you'd notice. I've got cabomba in there, and my reading suggests to me that, if a fish eats plants, they'll go to town on cabomba. It's like the pizza of the plant world. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts