Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've inherited my mums tropical tank after she passed away last month. She's been keeping fish since I was a girl, I worked in a pet shop for a number of years so I'm not a complete novice, but I'm unsure if this is treatable (I fear it's not!).

Back story, is my mum was struggling with the upkeep of the tank in the few months leading up to her death (I helped) but I think the water quality dropped as she was losing fish, even some she had had years. I think this and the move was quite stressful, we lost a couple in the weeks following. (I've done a couple of 30% water changes, 2 weeks after arrival and again two weeks after that, Thursday just gone with tapsafe) I noticed a fungal outbreak and have tried to treat this - the only fish that seem to be effected are the red eye tetras. I noticed one of the red eyes had like a yellow glow under its scales on the top of its neck area (on the pictures this is the pink area surrounding the white discharge) . Over a few days this area doomed until yesterday it opened up and although its not oozing, or flowing the contents has pushed out. The fish is swimming (but a little wobbly), but mostly hiding out under a log - is this an abcess or is it still fungus related? I've treated for fungus (second dose last Thursday) or does it need a different treatment? I'm feeling the little guy doesn't look great and it's not going to be a positive outcome, but I'm desperate to keep the other fish healthy, they were mums pride and joy so any advice would be greatly received.

Edit: I should say as the pictures arnt clear, this doesn't look fluffy like fungus.

Attachments

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
247 Posts
That is definitely a fungus or bacterial infection. Are you using medication?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts