Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Red devil help!!!

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Doctor fisher 
#1 ·
I Got a 75 Gallon Tank Set-up I Have 1 Red Devil 1 Green Terror both about 1 1/2 inches an 3 flowerhorns about 1 inch the tank has plenty of terroritorys set-up but the red devil insists on chasing around all 5 fish all day . around feeding time they all feed together with no problems if i keep the red devil will it eventually kill them all when its bigger?

#2 ·
Thats typical Red Devil behaviour...........attitude, attitude, attitude.........I cant say if he will kill your other fish, but i doubt the attitude and aggression is gonna stop........He is just being himself......Welcome to the wonderful world of cichlids..........Beautiful, aggressive fish that can be a headache to find a tank combo that works sometimes.............If its at all possible, i would return or rehome the Red Devil, no use spending all that money on flowerhorns to have them get beaten up by your Red Devil...........Good Luck and keep us posted

#4 ·
I had a 75 with an oscar that was about a foot long, a 6 inch Dempsey, and I added a firemouth, another dempsey, a black convict, and a red devil. The red devil was the smallest and I wasn't sure he would survive the others but he was on a super sale and very pretty. Besides, I figured they were all south american so they'd all get along, right?

He ballooned up in size, passed up the dempsey even, and started terrorizing everyone. The oscar wouldn't take his crap, but he managed to kill everyone else except the big dempsey. No fish store would take him, the only other tank I had at the time was a 10 gallon, and he was a 7 inch fish. When I'd put him in time-out in the 10 gallon he'd sink the bottom and turn white and I'd get scared he would die in there, so I'd put him back in the 75 and within an hour he'd be biting and shaking other fish. Finally a patient took him and went to a swap meet and contacted the guy who was second place bidder on a 5 inch Red Devil. He had bid $32 so he said he'd give her $30 for mine. She told me that she thought he go up to $40. I told her to take the money and run, I paid less than $2 for the thing and all I care about was finding him a good home. Then her husband came home and was mad at her for some reason so he threw the fish in the backyard.

I'd get another red devil if I had a tank to put one in, they're really pretty and fun to watch and smart, but they'll make life miserable for weaker fish.

#5 ·
well i ended up giving the red devil to the pet store an got 3 new additions to the tank i got 3 gourmis (they add a bit of flare to the tank till the others can eventually eat them) my flowerhorns an green terror seem a whole lot less stressed now an there back to getting comfortable

#12 ·
Well, been trying to give my red devil the option of getting along, to no avail, my orange Oscar raised from young, as well as my red devil, last survivor of 10 survivors. I actually have to scold him for attacking Oscar, when he see me coming to tank he runs behinds the foliage. I will take him out and sorry, can't find home for him during Covid-19, only available tank = 10 gal, I would have to put a cinder block on tank!!!! will make better judgment with him, tank as plecos, convict, jack Dempsey, the eel looking, etc. He is the only one causing and tearing up the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.