Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I switched out a blue spectrum bulb for a red spectrum bulb (these are HO t5 24W) in my reef tank and have had cyano bacteria problems since. My levels are fine (phosphates 0.0-0.03, nitrates 0.5, nitrite 0), I've got two HOB filters running carbon and purigen and then my skimmer. The flow in the tank is medium. That leaves the light as the only problem and when I turn it off for a couple days my algae goes away. I'm having to turn the light off for two days a week just to keep the algae from consuming my corals. It's already killed off a colony of zoas and the light reduction has killed my brain coral.

I'm thinking about switching to LED's. My other T5 bulbs caused coralline explosions and wouldn't grow my corals nicely. I've tried four different spectrums and it's just not working out! Does anyone have experience with LED's and any good brands I should consider?

Also, how good is Chemi-clean? Would it help solve my problem? I hate using chemicals in my reef so I would be very hesitant but I'm getting desperate..

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I personally like chemi clean and use it once a year in my tanks as an oxidizer regardless of cyano. As long as you follow the directions and do the water change after the treatment your corals should be fine. I have used it in small tanks and large tanks, soft corals and SPS acroporas with everything turning out good. It does make your skimmer go nuts though and I would not use it if your tank is having over saturation of ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

As far as the lighting I would always advise against a red spectrum light and always steer people towards the 10,000 or similar ie coral grow, actinic 420, 460 Nanometer, and 11,000Kelvins. The warmer the sectrum the more likely the algae, cyanobateria, and dinoflagelalates will utilize the wavelength for growth.

Also, as it sounds like you already know, more flow will generally help with fight on cyano bacteria.

There are many LEDs that work to grow corals and can say that quality, efficiency, and bells and whistles come into play even when you have an LED that emits the proper PAR for photosynthetic corals. I personally have experience with a number of fixtures that are all successful so if you want to go that route I can throw some recommendations your way.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'm late on this thread, but I will add a couple personal experiences. I've found that "top-down" water flow is very effective in reducing cyno and I often run hang on filters empty on my reef setups. Just an everyday freshwater Whisper filter without any filter pads or media is great for this.

I have also found that when I pay careful attention to alkalinity and calcium levels that cyno almost never appears. I run my alkalinity higher than many, at 12-14 DKH, with Calcium between 360-420ppm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts