Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this posted on another forum before noticing there was one especially for shrimp...

I'm new to keeping Red Cherry Shrimp, I have had 6 in an 8 gallon tank with my male Betta for a week now, so far everyone is getting along fine (some chasing and a few nips here and there but I've actually seen the shrimp chase my Betta too!).

Anyway, can anyone tell what is normal behaviour for Red Cherry Shrimp? They have been quite active and eating well, my tank is now sparkling clean from the little algae I did have. Sometimes I notice one or two will start swimming laps around the tank, and swim up to the surface a few times, is this a sign of anything good or bad?

All my water parameters are normal and the tank is planted, not densely but it's getting there.

I've noticed it's mostly a female with a yellow saddle darting around the most, she seems agitated and is possibly trying to escape the tank. The other shrimp are behaving normally. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I had ghost shrimp I had a couple that would swim up to the surface and try to steal food from the fish at feeding time. The coming up to the surface should be normal, but I don't know about the frantic movements.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I though most shrimp move around in a frantic manner. The ones at my LFS are like mad - they so fast zooming around the place! ;-)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've had mine about a month and here is what I have observed:

Like my crayfish, the shrimp have the ability to sense food in the water and gravitate to that place. If you feed flake food, the shrimp will start swimming the surface within minutes of adding it. Mine are always busy eating biofilm off any object in the tank. Here again they seem to all end up in close proximity. If you take a 1/8 blanched pea or some sort of small piece of sinking pellet, they will find it in just a few minutes. It typically starts with just one and more show up over a 10 minute period of time. Then the fight is on for feeding rights. If you look very closely, you should see shrimplets, they are very tiny.

If I were you I would put a good deal of java moss in the tank and seperate it like a mat across th floor. It will send runners up and the shrimp will clean each runner daily. That will also keep the betta on the top where it belongs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, sometimes my shrimp just chill. Other times, they get very antsy. I think they just get "hyper", if that is even possible :lol:
I wouldn't worry too much about it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. They have hiding spots :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts