Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I discovered an odd looking shape on my sponge filter. Taking a closer look; I realize it is a miniature version of one of my eight RCS. At first, I was excited to see one, then two, then three, and counted up to eight so far. After I stare at them for good minute or two, I also realize that I should check the water parameters just to be safe. Ammonia was 0.50ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 40-80ppm(couldn't tell the color difference). I did a very cautious water change, making sure I didn't pull out any of the babies with any of the decor. I only left the bogwood I have in there since it's practically their mansion, or as I call it: The Shrimp Hotel. It's actually pretty cool, as if it was made for them, but I'll get into that another time. I took out about 75% of the water, while watching every RCS baby I could see. They all managed to avoid the suction, thankfully going to the sponge filter and hotel for shelter. Poured in dechlorinated water(used Prime) from some milk and juice jugs I keep prepared for WC times, so they sit with Prime for at least two-seven days before use. So, I'm sure some of you will ask if there are fish in the tank. That is a No, there are none. They're in a 5 gallon tank, which I do my best to change the water every other day. I feed them Shrimp Pellets and Algae Wafers every 2-3 days, and not too much either. I know it's rather cannibalistic to feed them Shrimp Pellets, but I love watching them pick them up and run from the others. Now reason why I'm telling you all this is because I'd like to know if I'm doing things correctly or if I should alter anything in my regime. I don't want to lose those babies.

Water Temperature: 70-75 w/ no heater.
Filtration: Dual Sponge Filter for 20G Tanks.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Sounds good except when using prime you'll get better benefits if you don't age the water. If you feel the need to premix it..do it the same day. I actually pour prime in my shrimp tank while pouring water straight from the hose on my tap. But maybe with babies(actually some of mine are pretty freakin tiny) it's better to premix..but don't wait any more then 24hrs MAX to put in the primed water.

Oh, and do 25% water changes often until you get the nitrates down..and ammonia gone. I understand that they really dont like large water changes. I tend to do 50% ever since getting shrimp as opposed to my 80% I used to do. They need no ammonia nitrite and prefer no nitrate. Good water quality is very important to shrimp.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'll do that, but why use the Prime 24 hours before? I only do it since I like to have water prepared. What are the pros of mixing it in a maximum 24 hours before, and what are the cons of aging the water?

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
No cons in aging water. but the problem of doing it with prime already is it detoxifies ammonia nitrite and nitrate for 24-48hrs only. So if it sits for 2 days (or even more)it's just gonna be like the other dechlorinate the water and remove chloramine but with you're readings you honestly need to have the full benefit. I honestly would say don't even let it sit with prime longer then a few minutes to buy you some more time with the ammonia nitrate problems you are having.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a very good point. I'll do that, thanks for the advice. ^_^ Hopefully these babies grow well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts