Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I keep one in a 55 gallon (4 ft) tank?

I can't find a profile for it. I can't even find the profile search engine.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
The tank is certainly long enough but width size I don't think its big enough for them. A 75 gallon would be a better choice for them I do believe. Since its 18" wide verses 12" wide which is the size that the fish can get up to.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don't they prefer to be kept in groups, though?

They had a tank of them at the Georgia Aquarium, and they were pretty large. They didn't move much at all though, which I thought was odd.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quite sadly, piranha NEVER match up with expectations.

Piranha hide all day long.
When you do see them... they hover in one place.
They get HUGE... about a foot long.
No tankmates.
Expensive to feed.

And once you are tired of them, they are absolutely and completely impossible to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL. I realize they're skittish, a friend of mine has kept one for years, a single specimen in a 90 gallon aquarium. I was curious about tank size and water requirements more than anything. As far as getting rid of them goes, my LFS takes them, like they do any large fish (though admittedly I would need help getting them out of the tank and to the store.) Luckily we have a friend who works there now. They have three 12" ones right now that someone sold them. Their teeth are huge. Our friend put her hand up to the tank to show me how skittish they are. We keep silver dollars so we're used to skittish. They also have several small piranhas they got via regular channels. I kind of want one of the small ones. But now I hear they prefer a shoal.

We have seven fish tanks and we haven't gotten 'tired' of any of them yet, lol. I just want to try a new kind of fish. We have a couple dozen different types of fish right now. I think Piranhas are interesting and seem to get a bum rap.

Basically, once I remove the catfish from what was formerly my Rainbow tank and put them in the 220, I'm going to have an empty 55 in need of fish.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like you know exactly what you are getting into, then.

I have never kept them, and I have, sadly, never met anyone that kept them well. All of my experiences have been from the side of, "Help, I have had this thing for 6 months, and I don't want it anymore." This likely biases my outlook.

Your LFS sounds knowledgeable, what do they say about it?

My only other guess would be to find someone that has bred them. However, I would expect you would have to actively seek them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts