Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 20 gal. freshwater tank, I checked the water parameters and everything is spot on except for GH which I know is ok however I'd still like to do what I can to lower these levels. I've heard a natural water softener can help but my main interest is looking into water conditioners. All I know about stress coat conditioners are, they have aloe to help boost the production of slime coats on the fish, but beyond that, I don't know. Are they better then other conditioners?
What exactly am I looking for in conditioners? (Any specific ingredients? anything in particular?)
and finally, what brand/conditioner do you recommend?​
I've heard good things about API and I use a few of their products but I'm not too knowledgeable on conditioners. I currently use a Betta water conditioner (Imagitarium) that I got from a PetSmart years ago. It works fine but I doubt it's fantastic by any means and I'm running low. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
357 Posts
I would boil the water for several minutes to get most of it out. I just use the regular topfin brand, I have tried API before and it worked just as good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could? It’s a lager tank so it would be harder to boil it all. Do you think I could boil a bit of it vs all of it?
Also do you think the stress coat conditioner is better? I have 8 neon tetra 3 black skirt tetra and an angelfish

·
Administrator
7-10 ranging in sizes up to 125g
29 Posts
Many people swear by Seachem Prime. I've been using API Stress Coat+ for more years than I can remember. I use to "age" the water by filling buckets and let them sit for a few days. Kind of old school. These days I have too many tanks/gallons and simply use a hose connected to a faucet and dose the tanks with the appropriate amount of API. I don't think I've ever heard of people boiling water for water changes. I guess it could depend on the condition of your tap water, maybe.

Water conditioner expire after time, just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
357 Posts
I would boil about half of the water and then let it sit overnight, or just use a water conditioner. Boiling water and leaving it out has always worked for me in the past but I just use the water conditioner now because its simpler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For my 20 gal. freshwater tank, I checked the water parameters and everything is spot on except for GH which I know is ok however I'd still like to do what I can to lower these levels. I've heard a natural water softener can help but my main interest is looking into water conditioners. All I know about stress coat conditioners are, they have aloe to help boost the production of slime coats on the fish, but beyond that, I don't know. Are they better then other conditioners?
What exactly am I looking for in conditioners? (Any specific ingredients? anything in particular?)
and finally, what brand/conditioner do you recommend?​
I've heard good things about API and I use a few of their products but I'm not too knowledgeable on conditioners. I currently use a Betta water conditioner (Imagitarium) that I got from a PetSmart years ago. It works fine but I doubt it's fantastic by any means and I'm running low. Thanks guys!
I've been raising and breeding fish for over 30 years and have used many different water conditioners and found that Fritz Complete truly works the best. It's a full spectrum all in one water conditioner. The company has been in business for a very long time. I was spending so much money on different products for my tanks and just wasn't happy with the results. Then I stumbled upon the Fritz company. Complete really works and it's concentrated. So you'll only need 1 ml per gallon. I hope you have good luck solving your issue with your tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts