Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cool! Artificial vs real doesn't really matter...so long as both provide hiding places, spawning sites, and shelter...when my cichlids get large and destructive I usually go artificial too...really its just novel right now for me because this is the first time I've had success with them....in the past I was the cause of many a plants death....not sure how safe this is, but I used to get my artificial plants at a craft shop out here called Michael's....large, realistic, and CHEAP....for better looking than those at lfs...didn't see any signs of deterioration either...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to bug again...but I was thumbing thru the net and came across numerous really awesome tanks housing cardinals or neons and discus...while Ive raised gouramis, I've never done discus (hope I'm spelling that right)...but always wanted to....just a thought....they're really beautiful looking together....

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Cardinals are a common choice with discus because they like warmer water. Neons actually prefer colder water.

Discus are an option, though I have heard that they are a lot of work - big reason why I don't have them. And I don't heat my tanks.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks jaysee....NeilD sorry I gave u a bunk suggestion....I never new this, and thus never had luck with neons....now I feel terrible, having placed them in my warmer tanks...rather than research I just went with the fish store guy...never again.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
...rather than research I just went with the fish store guy...never again.
Seems to be a common theme. You really just don't know what you don't know until you know... you know?:-D

Jeff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alright, so I went to my LFS to see the fish IRL, and I fell in love with the blue dwarf gourami. I remember reading only 1 per tank? More?

I also saw honey gouramis. I still need a number on how many or what sort of mix (m:f)

I also saw some pretty looking neons (good size too). I plan on 20 neons with an assortment of gouramis. *in an urgent voice* I NEED NUMBERS PEOPLE haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
*mind change again*

Alright, now it feels like I'm just changing my mind...I'm fairly certain on the rasboras, but I saw some dwarf gouramis and fell in love with them...

Alright...so how many (powder blue) dwarf gouramis? I hear they're more aggressive, so only one? A combination of dwarf and pearl? (I know they ARE different species)

Thanks for putting up with my questions!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Like most fish, if u get multiple males they'll fight...for the dwarf gourami, one or a mated pair would be best...they can be territorial at times...

When I had my honeys I kept them with a 1 to 2 (male to female ratio)...and had no problems...once I had them in a bigger tank I increased the number and had 2 males and 5 females...and instantly the dominant male started chasing the other (they were both the same size) - plus it was heavily planted and 100g...just FYI...

Keep in mind though, dwarfs (though not a necessity) do well in heavily planted environments ... They are also usually found in slower current waters (almost sluggish) - like ponds or even swamps in the wild....pick a tank mate that would do well in the same and go or it...If u want to be region specific, look for fish that come from areas around India...

Good luck and cheers! -mike

21 - 31 of 31 Posts