Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got 30 RCS coming later in the week and just a question or two. First, I have a 20L that finished cycling about a month ago. It was bare bottom but had about half the bottom covered in java moss. Friday I added gravel and a seasoned sponge filter-the 100gal variety. I also added a flower pot and two 6" sections of PVC that have been in other tanks at least six months. I added a little crushed coral as our water is way too soft. I wanted to know if it would help to add a seasoned piece of driftwood that has been in an established tank about 3-4 months? I just want them to have enough biofilm to eat. Just for my piece of mind, can anyone recommend some type of food that works well? I use blanched peas cut in half for my crayfish and read that would work for the shrimp as well? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Ok, got 30 RCS coming later in the week and just a question or two. First, I have a 20L that finished cycling about a month ago. It was bare bottom but had about half the bottom covered in java moss. Friday I added gravel and a seasoned sponge filter-the 100gal variety. I also added a flower pot and two 6" sections of PVC that have been in other tanks at least six months. I added a little crushed coral as our water is way too soft. I wanted to know if it would help to add a seasoned piece of driftwood that has been in an established tank about 3-4 months? I just want them to have enough biofilm to eat. Just for my piece of mind, can anyone recommend some type of food that works well? I use blanched peas cut in half for my crayfish and read that would work for the shrimp as well? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I rarely feed mine.. they really love to graze on my plants for algae too small I can barely see it's there. But you can get omega one algae wafers and take just a half or quarter of it and break that up and feed it on occasion to them. I thin I've seen another veggie food thats pretty much already crushed too but I don't know what brand it is. Be very careful about overfeeding.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I feed mine almost on a daily basis. I do a 1/2 tab of Omega One algae wafers. I'll also throw some NLS at them every once in a while. The only true "shrimp food" I ever got, they have no interest in. It's not a bad idea to feed them while the biofilm gets established. The general rule for shrimps is feed what they can consume in an hour.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
True Koi, I guess I should have mentioned my crazy shrimp tank also has a few guppies so they get a little excess sinking small fish nls pellets make it to them as well. Didn't think about that to add.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. When acclimating the shrimp I noticed one tiny male Least Killie in the tank. Guess he hitchhiked with the java moss. I'll give him a micron of food every day or so and the shrimp can have what ever may be left over. Quick question, I have a tank that is growing nice green algae on the glass, if I scrape some and freeze it then use it as food will they eat it? Do you think they would? Also, I use blanched peas cut in half for my crayfish. Would they eat like a 1/4th?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, looks like I'll have feeding down.

Now, my little guys have been tanked five days now. They tend to swim and move about very often, is this normal behavior? Let me know what to expect and what to watch for. I have not noticed any issues, but I did find some very tiny shrimp that are obviously new borns.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My shrimp are always on the move. That's entirely normal behavior. The males will become even more erratic when a female has just molted and is ready to breed. I usually know when this is because I'll see almost all of my males swimming around the column like crazy shrimp. Crazy with love. ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again. The shrimp have made it a week and are all over the place. They go from moss to floating plants and everwhere inbetween. I've spotted several very tiny, 1/4 the length of a grain of rice shrimp and assume these are new hatchlings. I also have observed two fresh molt casings, the hord must have eaten them later.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thanks again. The shrimp have made it a week and are all over the place. They go from moss to floating plants and everwhere inbetween. I've spotted several very tiny, 1/4 the length of a grain of rice shrimp and assume these are new hatchlings. I also have observed two fresh molt casings, the hord must have eaten them later.
Wanted to get in on this post. I have had a RCS tank for at least a year. I added a bristlenose who keeps the glass clean, but adds to the bioload, and I now do have nitrates, even with plants. Last week I added a sparkling Gourami (such a tiny dude) :) Doesn't seem to matter about having nitrates, because the guys breed like crazy, so I occassionally feed "shrimplets" to my other fish.

The do love those sinking algae wafers. I wonder too about over feeding, and I probably feed too much. What started me feeding more, was I would notice the little shrimp tackle/wrestle each other, and I thought perhaps they are trying to kill each other - to fight for food?? Has anyone seem this? Is this normal? I often even see one carry another around, and they are both alive, so I know he's not carting off a dead one. Mine must eat molt, because I only have seen a large molt once, and the next day I looked it was gone. Very interesting little guys :-D

Gwen

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only time I have one shrimp on top of another is during molting (see Friends, fighting or something more? I put on here) , They seem to help each other to get the old cast off if it seems to be a particularly difficult molt.

Mine also love to swim around chasing each other, they do this for a couple of hours.

I only give a few algae tabs every 7-8 days, they come and collect them and take them up into the plants to enjoy.

I have Amano's and orange eyed blue tigers.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick update and close to the thread. The shrimp are doing great and I see tiny shrimplets all the time. I note that like my crayfish they see to have the ability to home in on any food source dropped in the tank. I started out with 30 shrimp in a 20L. I'll wait until late January to see how many I have by then.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good to hear everything is going well, I think next year I will add a shrimp only tank to see if I can get some young, shrimp are far more interesting than fish.

Good luck with them

·
Registered
17 Posts
What type of algae do Cherry shrimp eat?

I have a tank that has some brown algae growing in the corner. I scraped it off but it created a mess of thing and now it's all over the substrate and the rocks. Would the shrimp pick at this?

Also does CO2 and fertilizer kill the shrimp?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Red cherry shrimp eat brown and green algae. I've never seen them eat BBA or staghorn algae, but they seem to love BGA.

In large doses CO2 and ferts can kill shrimp. Copper which is found in fertilizers is the big culprit, but if you aren't dosing heavily with micronutrients then you shouldn't have a problem. For example I dose 1mL of Seachem Flourish on my 10 gal shrimp tank and have never had an issue. It's the same with CO2. Too much of it can kill shrimp just like it will kill fish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Red cherry shrimp eat brown and green algae. I've never seen them eat BBA or staghorn algae, but they seem to love BGA.

In large doses CO2 and ferts can kill shrimp. Copper which is found in fertilizers is the big culprit, but if you aren't dosing heavily with micronutrients then you shouldn't have a problem. For example I dose 1mL of Seachem Flourish on my 10 gal shrimp tank and have never had an issue. It's the same with CO2. Too much of it can kill shrimp just like it will kill fish.
My plan is to dose half the amount that I was dosing before. I am right now dosing 6 drops of Easy-Carbo and when I add the shrimp I will reduce that to 3 drops

1 - 19 of 19 Posts