Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am going to be getting discus in maybe a month or two, I am wondering if in the meantime I can get some rams (gold, bolivian, blue). Since they are peacful and of the cichlid family, they should be OK with the discus, right? Also, how hard are rams to care for?

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks blue, would it be OK to add them now or should I also wait like 3 mos like I am with the discus?

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, any reason why I should add them at the same time? I am planning on getting like 8 discus all at once and throwing them in the tank. I already have some danios in there (sorry, i will leave them in with the discus, i love them). I wouldn't be able to quarnatine 8 discus anyway, right?

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, do the bolivian rams really get this bright & beautiful?

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool so I think I will get some bolivian's. I assume the color only comes out once they are full grown? I will see what my lfs says, I know he can get them but I'll see what he thinks.

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they are awesome, but they are semi-aggressive. I want to keep a peacful tank!

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks blue, I will look into those species!

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Btw, it is also important to me that they dont eat the plants!

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just read that the borelli's prefer cold water and the temp should not exceed 70f: http://www.aquariumsite.com/fish/borellii_dwarf.php is this true?

I also read that the filamentosus are hermaphroditic: http://cichlidae.com/article.php?id=91

So, keeping these in mind:
Microgeophagus altispinosa - Bolivian Ram
Apistogramma borelli - Borelli's Dwarf Cichlid
Dicrossus filamentosus - Chessboard Cichlid
Apistogramma agassizi - Agassiz'z Dwarf Cichlid
Apistogramma cacatuoides- Cockatoo Cichlid

I think I am leaning toward the ram, borelli, and the cockatoo. Remember I am going to have discus as well. How many of each would you recommend for my 90gal (I want to have ~8 discus eventually)?

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how many bolivian rams do you think I should get? I was thinking 2 male and 2-3 female....(i want them to breed)

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
thanks for the info. I have some on order and should get them in about a week!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.