Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey do you guys think i would be able to keep a Ram Cichlid with my red tailed shark, my rubber pleco and my julii corycat?

p.s 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Brandon said:
What do you mean? bullish

And this is the last fish im putting in before i get me/build my bigger tank.
RTBS are very aggressive and in a 10 gallons tank, your ram will meet its death in a short time.:shake: Rams do not tolerate aggressive tankmates. Make sure they are the most dominant in the tank, not the other fish.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Brandon said:
What kind of cichlid can i put in there that has the same growth and looks cool.
Unless you remove your RTBS, you are still really pushing the limits.:blueworry:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks for the quick answere. I think i should see if a LFS would wanna buy in some time soon. I think next time ill just get a Bala or Rainbow if any shark at all. Do you know how much a Lfs would buy it for? Because i would like to get maby a few tetras or a cichlid or to depending on how big they get.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Brandon said:
Well thanks for the quick answere. I think i should see if a LFS would wanna buy in some time soon. I think next time ill just get a Bala or Rainbow if any shark at all. Do you know how much a Lfs would buy it for?
None of those will fit in your tank unless you have a 55 gallons with the exception of bala sharks which grow to 12 inches or more thus requiring you a 150 gallons. Balas love to be kept in a shoal hence 150 gallons is recommended to keep 4-6 of them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i geuss sharks are out of the tank untill i get my bigger one. But do you know maby how much big als or petcetera will buy it for?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Brandon said:
Well i geuss sharks are out of the tank untill i get my bigger one. But do you know maby how much big als or petcetera will buy it for?
Their policy may depend. Sometimes you get only half the price they sell the fish.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would it be depending on size though? because even if i get like 10 bucks i geuss thats still pretty good.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Brandon said:
Would it be depending on size though? because even if i get like 10 bucks i geuss thats still pretty good.
Yes.:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya so i think ill wait a month or 2 till my shark gets a lil bigger and sell it and maby my cory then focus on little fish till my big tank.

Thanks for all your help Blue.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Brandon said:
The 7ps look it up.
What is that?
Brandon, ignore him. He tends to overreact.:shake: :bluelaugh:
Dlil, you can't just put the threads in disarray with your posts.:wink2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a few comments. My sister has a red-tailed black shark that lives in a 3 foot tank with some gouramis of all things and a flying fox - she has had no trouble at all in terms of aggression - even with the other cyprinid.
On the other hand we have a small rainbow shark (some say they are less aggressive than rtbs) and its harassing everything we have in the large four foot 200 gallon tank.
Ist just their nature, but i doubt either a RTBS or a rainbow would be suitable for ram cichlids - aggressive african cichlids would be better.

Last comment - I often hear that Bala sharks need to be in a school to be happy. We had one that is about 8 or 9 inchs that attacks any other bala shark it encounters. We were taking care of it and returned it to its owner and in its new tank it started attacking the other balas - and this guy owns a HUGE tank. They have a rainbow that attacks all the balas, and a bala that attacks all the other balas, a chinese sucker that attacks all the other cyprinids and some tinfoil barbs and clown loaches that try to avoid the charks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts