Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a cory question! My apologies- my parents had them while I was growing up, and I enjoyed watching them, but didn't care for them. I've done research on them online, but what I've read pretty much covers the basics of behavior, care, etc. and doesn't account for individual differences. I stupidly expected my new cories to behave like the typical cory I keep reading about...

So here's the question: I purchased 3 false julii cories on 10/31. For the first day and a half, they all kind of hung out separately at the bottom of the tank, barely moving. Even though I acclimated them, I know that a big move can be stressful, so I wasn't panicking. Finally, last night, they started darting all over. Here's the silly question- they are all over the tank; is that normal? I mean, when they settle down, they settle at the bottom, but otherwise, they're finally hanging out as a group, and quickly going back and forth and covering every level of the tank, not just bottom-dwelling. From my childhood, I remember them being typically bottom-dwellers, and that's what I keep reading, too. I'm just a little surprised at their willingness to swim all over the tank. I'm not sure if these are signs of happiness (I hope) or stress.

Water parameters are normal, temp at 78*. They are still small- about 3/4" long each, in a long 10 gallon that has live plants and driftwood. They came from a LFS with red gills and a heavily stocked, but lightly planted, tank. The employee also told me that 1 cory can do just fine by itself, so I'm not too confident in that store or the care their fish received! :roll: I'm hoping that they're just happy to have more cover, which I've read that they prefer (i.e. plants and driftwood) and more space to swim around and better water conditions. I'm probably just a worried mommy, but I wanted to see if anyone who has more experience with cories has any advice or insight. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hello there :)
they sound normal to me,any cory i have ever had,started out swimming
all over the place after a few days,and i found as they got older they calmed down,
only shooting to the top for the occasional gulp of air.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I added a couple more this morning just in case they weren't happy with only 3 of them (I was told to add 2 or 3 more). They seemed much calmer tonight, already. They're eating and hanging out together, and acting like I would expect a healthy cory to act now. :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts