Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching and trying to determine for a while now if it would be ok to put my two male guppies in my 20 gallon tank with my 6 neon tetra and my 6 rasbora. I have seen various opinions and I wanted to post in here if anyone has tried this and if it would or could work? I want to move my betta to my 10 gallon tank that my guppy are in now so he can have a bigger tank to himself. Would this work? I don't have to do this, I just want to because I am really starting to like my betta more and more and currently the guppy tank is by my bed and I want to put the betta in there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have neon tetras in with my 2 male guppys and they are doing great together. I've never had rasboras but from what I can tell in the fish profiles they are peaceful fish. I would say that as long as they aren't fin nippers at all they would be fine. If you have time to watch them you could always move the guppys over and wait and observe the tank for a few days before you move your betta over, just in case you have to move the guppys back.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Agree, I see no issues from the standpoint of compatibility respecting behaviours, etc.

The one issue is water parameters; guppies being livebearers are best in moderately hard water (with a basic pH), while neons and rasbora are soft water with a slightly acidic pH. Now, having said that, neons and rasbora do somewhat adapt if the hardness is not extreme. I've no idea what your water parameters are, and presumably all these fish are OK now in the same "water," though being "OK" is not that easy to determine from the fish's standpoint.:)

Byron.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. My water is slightly hard I believe. I believe it is around 12 dGh I believe. The neons and the rasbora are doing really well. They both live in the same water parameters. Only difference is temperature. I've kept the neon and rasbora at like 77 give or take 1 degree and the guppy closer to 80. That's the only difference in parameters. But that's good to hear. I have been wanting to move them but I couldn't find somewhere where it was said either way if it would work. I'll move the guppy sometime soon and see how they do and then I'll move the betta after a couple days. I want to reorganize the tank the betta is going in anyways so this will give me a chance to do so.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Yeah. My water is slightly hard I believe. I believe it is around 12 dGh I believe. The neons and the rasbora are doing really well. They both live in the same water parameters. Only difference is temperature. I've kept the neon and rasbora at like 77 give or take 1 degree and the guppy closer to 80. That's the only difference in parameters. But that's good to hear. I have been wanting to move them but I couldn't find somewhere where it was said either way if it would work. I'll move the guppy sometime soon and see how they do and then I'll move the betta after a couple days. I want to reorganize the tank the betta is going in anyways so this will give me a chance to do so.
Keep the temp at 77F, no higher for the sake of the neons. The guppies I'm sure can manage with that.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
The lower end of guppies preferred temp range is 68.

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts