Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am a novice fish keeper who recently started keeping a 15 gal. I cycled the aquarium for 2 days with culture starter, i used well water which in my country does not have chlorine. Anyways, I got 6 platies 2 days ago. One seemed sick and died today. I heard that it is normal whenever you get a few fish and put them in a new tank for them to die. Is this true? The rest are moving out and about exploring the tank while that one just stayed still and did nothing. My main question today, is it normal for platies to pick at the ground? I think im over thinking because i get nervous no matter where they are, is it normal for them to pick at the substrate? They weren't doing that yesterday. Is it normal if they occasionally touch the top of the tank(don't think it is lack of aeration, i have 2 air pumps)? Also I have 0 algae growth, is that a bad sign? Thank you in advance.​

·
Registered
7 aquaria: live plants, shrimp, snails, celestial danios, white clouds, corys, ottos...
24 Posts
I have seen many fish injured by store personnel trying to catch or sort them. It sounds like the fish that died might have been injured or already ill.

I say this because it happened almost immediately and the others seem to be still OK. Picking at the substrate is a good sign, as it shows that they feel well enough to search for food. You might try plant-based fish food designed to float or sink slowly, as platys are typically mid-water to top-water fish, but will go where they must to find food.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts