Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just joined this forum and have been battling ich in my 55g tank. This has prompted my to set up a quarantine / isolation tank for any newcomers.

I really don't know where to start. For instance, will a 5g tank do or is too small? How should the tank be cycled? I have a BioWheel 400 in my 55g, should I Fluval BioMax media that I have in the media containers to help cycle? This may sound silly but can a tank remain cycled without having fish living in it? Is it best to keep a isolation tank simply bare bones, meaning no gravel, maybe a decoration or two so that any fish can hide?

Basically, any information you can give me will help. Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
The size of your tank depends on how big the fish you are going to be putting in it are. if you have small community fish a 5g should be just fine.

taking out some of your other filters media will speed up the cycle and id leave a few feeder guppies in the tank if you dont have any other fish to keep in the tank.

And i keep mine bare bottom and no decorations.

·
Registered
322 Posts
:flash: IMPORTANT! :FLASH: be very sure and careful of seperating the utensils (nets buckets etc!) designate a seperate set of tools for each tank as it may transmit the diseases and thus infect your quarintine tank rendering useless. =) :wave: hello welcome to fish forum :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts