Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys!

We have 4 pygmy corydora and wanted to know if these little dudes like eating snails? I've found empty shells in the tank and I know the cardinals don't go for them. We did have Guppies for a little while who actually liked to pick the snails off the wall and drop them?! 馃槀 although unfortunately they didn't last long which was a shame as it was fun to watch.

Registered
Hello Han...

I've noticed Corydoras picking at the snails to remove bits of algae from the shells, but they wouldn't attack and eat one. They'll way too peaceful a species. Corys will remove dead fish if the fish stays in the tank long enough.

M

Registered
Pygmy Corycats are known for being pretty safe with invertebrates like shrimp and snails. Even my larger Aeneus and False Julii Corycats are safe with all my baby Mystery Snails. What's likely happening is that the snails are dying from some other cause, and then the Pygmy Corycats are happily eating the soft parts of the already dead snails. Guppies absolutely will kill snails, or bite off enough of their soft body parts that they die eventually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts