Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a school of 8 of these guys. Schooling behavior is really cool to watch. They are the sole occupants of the aquarium. Haven't kept them before so I can't gauge how much activity on their part is too much activity.

They are in constant motion, zipping around the tank rather quickly, and only slow down during the afternoon plant siesta. I can't help but wonder if the high activity is a sign of stress for them.

If this behavior is normal for them, I would never keep them with a Betta except in a larger tank. Pretty sure their constant zipping around would spook him.

Should mention I have them in a Fluval Edge 6 gallon. A footprint nearly equivalent to a 10 gallon (a little smaller but not by much)

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Yeah, they are pretty active little ones! They generally spend most of their time in the middle region of the tank, mine slowed down a bit once they settled in but they were still pretty high energy from comparing to most of my fish :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had wondered if they may be feeling a bit exposed. The tank is basically planted in the middle with a good 4 - 5" between the top of the plants the surface. The rest of the tank is open and I can startle them easily without meaning to.

I added a Java Fern that combined with existing growth provides a larger, shaded area for them to settle into, and they go there when I scare them. I was also considering taping black construction paper across the back and about half along the sides so it isn't as open to the outside. Nothing blocks the front, side and rear of the tank.

How important is it to filter the light in the tank for them?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
They should be fine once they settle in, as with all fish they are very jumpy at first but once they settle into routine they won't be startled so easily after a while. I don't find that you really need to filter light for cories, I'm sure they appreciate it but it's not an absolute necessity from what I know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They should be fine once they settle in, as with all fish they are very jumpy at first but once they settle into routine they won't be startled so easily after a while. I don't find that you really need to filter light for cories, I'm sure they appreciate it but it's not an absolute necessity from what I know.
Thanks again, lilnaugrim. Always a pleasure :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.