Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and co-worker informed me that at the pet store where I purchased my fish(and where she held a 2nd part time job), sells water for freshwater and saltwater tanks. Apparently there is something really good about the water, and it's big hit with people. I have to get more details, but I was wondering if anyone has ever taken this route when setting up or maintaining tank(initial fill up and water changes).
This pet store also has one of the best, if not the best, reputations for fish.

Wondering if anyone else has a lfs that does this?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, I don't have all the details right now. It's some special water. It's what they use for all their tanks and set ups.
I have to find out all the information, but it was really interesting to hear they offer it and it's apparently a huge hit.
It sells for .45cents a gallon. You can rent 5gallon jugs/containers also for transport at $1/day.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I am guessing this is RO water. RO-reverse osmosis
RO water practically has no minerals so you may have to add mineral salts in it to replenish its minerals. RO has no buffering capacity so the KH is zero. Most of the people using RO mixed it with their tapwater as tapwater has trace elements.

You'll need to increase the KH to stabilize the pH or risk pH crash because of very low KH brought by RO water.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just headed over to the pet store.
It is reverse osmosis. Pure. If you're buying it for freshwater tanks, they add good bacteria.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
DanaJ said:
If you're buying it for freshwater tanks, they add good bacteria.
RO water doesn't add bacteria. RO water is used to soften the water or to be clear, lower the KH.:wink2:

·
Registered
322 Posts
lol....pretty much prepared water....you could do it yourself but i understand for those who dont have time. hahah! good luck doing water changes and transporting the water......

·
Registered
10 Posts
sounds absurd to me unless it was for a saltwater reef tank as most corals need pure water to survive. then i understand some people may not have an RO water unit at home for their reef tanks. however fresh water can be adjusted if you know what to do or add. water changes, good amount of flow, and filter media all work to keep your water healthy. just out of curiousity how much do they charge?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts