Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a mortar and pestle to grind up flakes for some rainbow fry. I can get them pretty small. Was wondering, if they still would be able to nibble at the edges of the tiny particles.
I have some decapsulated brine shrimp eggs on order.

·
Registered
690 Posts
They should be able to. I've got this cheap electric coffee grinder, cost $12 online, turns dry food to the consistency of soot.

Reactions: twocents

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Similarly I have one of those Magic Bullets that I'll use to grind fry food. Now I wouldn't buy one just for this purpose, but often what you have on hand can work as well as something else you can buy.
Mixer Blender Small appliance Product Food processor

Be sure to select a high quality flake food.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Some stores do sell a powderized fish food for fry, Hikari First Bites I think.

Raising your own brine shrimp is best I think though, however you have to be sure you feed them while they still have the egg sack to get all the nutrition. When I looked into it it takes two days to hatch, so having two hatcheries going is enough to provide food daily.

A caution with feeding lots of live food is your fish may become accustomed to it and scorn prepared foods.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I use my fingers; flake food turns to powder easily. I am currently doing this to sprinkle food and stir it into the water to sink onto surfaces for my Farlowella fry.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Golden Pearls works well as a food for rainbow fry, or the hikarii first bites. Once the yolk sack is used up they can take BBS. Try using a bare bottom tank, and siphon out all uneaten food. Rainbows are very susceptible to higher nitrates. If you keep the water temp a little higher, and feed several times a day, you will get accelerated growth from the fry. These are the techniques I used for my bow fry. Although there are other ways to raise them I'm sure.
Good luck!! Bows are great fish:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.