Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Most puffers are voracious eaters in tanks. They mainly prefer crustaceons like snails and hermits. Once adapted to tank life they'll just about anything. I'd start with some shell fish like clams or oysters from the supermarket seafood guy. You can try a drop of garlic oil to stimulate the appetite but I've not foudn it to be as awe inspiring as claimed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Often, new fish do not eat for a few days. Some don't ea at al and then later die. A good rule of thumb is to ask the shop keper to feed the fish before you purchase. This is usually a good indicator of the feeding habbits. Try some live brime shrimp. If it doesn't bite, you nay hava a problem.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The one food I've always had luck with when the puffers wouldn't eat was frozen, raw squid. Small chunks at a time. It is not uncommon for a puffer to not eat for up to a week when it has been moved. They stress easy. The best solution is to make sure it has plenty of hiding places, is not being harrassed by other fish in the tank (yes, many of them are big chickens until they settle in).
What kind of puffer is it? Frozen formula 1 cubes are also something to try. Most puffers love them, and there is garlic in it to help stimulate appetite and strengthen immune system. Be diligent, keep trying. Try also shortening the length of time the light is on over the tank for a few days. This will also help to reduce stress. Try to avoid scaring the fish, fast movements around the tank, fast movements when trying to feed it, and anything else that might startle it. When stressed, they will refuse food and literally starve themselves to death.
Good Luck and let me know if you need more options... I have others once I know what kind of puffer it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts