Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a Protein Skimmer is important for a salt water fish tank? What does it do? I've heard different things. Also, does anyone know about how long after I have the tank should I introduce the skimmer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not sure what a protein skimmer is, but I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to put one in my saltwater tank. I imagine it skims protein, lol. We actually got one with the setup but it was confusing since it looked like the part where the electrical cord connects to the thing is supposed to be submerged underwater. Could that be right? Are they making devices these days where you are supposed to put the power cord under water? Growing up, I'd always been told that was a big no no! :shock:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure about how to use one but yes I do know it's a good thing to have. I was told at the workshop that it's pretty much a must have. I highly doubt you submerse the cord though lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, I have reservations about submersing the cord but I checked with the guy at the pet store and he said that's what you have to do! I think I will do more research before I risk frying my fish (not to mention myself)!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Protein skimmers are used to reduce the burdens of the filters. They are used to eliminate certain dissolving substances such as proteins and purify the water.
This is much recommended in invertebrate tanks although some invertebrates absorb the substances.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts