Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
the hole thing sits in the tank but the collection cup is above the water.its really simple to set it up.it came pretty much all together.put the pump end in the in end of the skimmer and put the cup on and done.ill get a vid tomarrow.
You didn't try to set it outside the sump? I kinda thought thats what the big old u-tube was meant for, up and over the tank side. But, if your notusing it outside the sump, then you don't need that big ol tube in there. Lean the pump on its side, and direct plumb that baby with about 3-4" of pvc should about do ya. No?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You didn't try to set it outside the sump?
i did put it in side the sump yes.but i answered the question on how its sopposed to be set up from the directions.its actually a in sump style skimmer that hangs inside the tank for the water level for fine tuning.thing actually kicks some serious bubbles!

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
i did put it in side the sump yes.but i answered the question on how its sopposed to be set up from the directions.its actually a in sump style skimmer that hangs inside the tank for the water level for fine tuning.thing actually kicks some serious bubbles!
That lil tube allows yoiu to sit that thing on the side of the sump?
By by the looks of the pump itself, it looks just like th eolder model Reef Octopus, thats why I looked at those.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You didn't try to set it outside the sump? I kinda thought thats what the big old u-tube was meant for, up and over the tank side. But, if your notusing it outside the sump, then you don't need that big ol tube in there. Lean the pump on its side, and direct plumb that baby with about 3-4" of pvc should about do ya. No?
mine didnt come with a u tube just a straight one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
i got my reef octopus last week and i cant wait to use it. have to finish building my sump first though. it looks like a pretty good piece of equipment though and actually i went to my lfs to talk about sumps and overflows and stuff and this was the skimmer they were recommending (for like $80 more) should i get a sump set up from them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got my sump all set up and running this afternoon. Its a recycled 24 gallon tank. I'm using a filter sock to pre filter the big stuff out and I have my reef octopus skimmer in there as week. Skimmer isn't running yet though because I overlooked the fact that it needs to be in 6 to 10 inches of water to run and my sump is 12" drop. Have to get a stand for it. After like 2 hours of fine tuning I got my overflow box and return pump matched up so my water level stays steady. I left plenty of room in my sump for excess water in the event of power failure. Just hope that little aqua lifter does its job. Makes my display tank look awesome without the heater and that power filter in there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So after running my sump for about a day now with the protein skimmer I'm noticing that there are a ton of micro bubbles getting back to my tank. When I installed the baffles for the bubble trap in my sump I put them an inch apart. These bubbles aren't a good thing right? What could I do to get rid of these?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah they are all in my display now and only since the skimmer has been on. Actually now that you mention it I've seen a bunch of pictures of skimmers with the sponges on the end of the return. No doubt they had the same issue. I just was worried maybe they could be harmful to the fish...I guess I'm a Lyle gun shy after the last go around.
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 40 of 40 Posts