Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my tank from a 10 gallon to a 300 gallon, and I bought a protein skimmer. My tank is about 2 weeks into the cycle and Ammonia is at 0 nitrites at 0, nitrates at 5 ppm. I just hooked up my protein skimmer and I saw no bubbles at all in the skimmer. Is this just because its a new tank? or is the skimmer faulty? it is a Hydor performer 1005 skimmer.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I just upgraded my tank from a 10 gallon to a 300 gallon, and I bought a protein skimmer. My tank is about 2 weeks into the cycle and Ammonia is at 0 nitrites at 0, nitrates at 5 ppm. I just hooked up my protein skimmer and I saw no bubbles at all in the skimmer. Is this just because its a new tank? or is the skimmer faulty? it is a Hydor performer 1005 skimmer.
How long has the skimmer been running? They can take a few weeks to break in. Did you rinse the skimmer prior to using it? Is it brand new?

You also might need to adjust the air intake. Is this a Venturi or Needle Wheel intake?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the first day I put it in, I heard from somewhere that you are supposed to leave the return valve all the way open for it to break in, and yes its brand new

1 - 6 of 6 Posts