Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to make money for aquariums...USING aquariums? I'd be interested in something freshwater. I should be in it for the love of the game, but love alone doesn't feed my aquarium habbit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
hamdogg08 said:
Is there any way to make money for aquariums...USING aquariums? I'd be interested in something freshwater. I should be in it for the love of the game, but love alone doesn't feed my aquarium habbit.
You could try breeding something, like convicts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
...I've seen pet stores sell convicts for .49 cents...and since they do at least 100% mark-up that means you'd be selling them for .25 each...

...if you're lucky...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you earn much for convicts? I pretty much accidentally bread a bunch of them about two years ago. If I could get a little money from them, that'd be totally awesome!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck, with about 15 fry, I could make like...3.00! What about discus or angels. Are they easy to breed?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or you could try other fish.
I mean, getting a few dozen spawns a year from convicts and selling the babies so low would add up to if you were to breed something like a lungfish with half the babies dying and eventually selling them for $60 a peice.

As for QUICK breeeder fish, I'd suggest variatus platies, convicts, guppies, zebra danios, and white clouds.

If you've got a spare larger aquarium, try for the upgraded tiger barb or black skirt tetra.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have a 29 and a 75 gallon. Would I be able to have 2-3 breeding pairs in the 75? If not, I guess I could still use the 29...That's worked before with convicts.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
find the easiest to breed expensive fish near you. Rams can breed if the water is at its best parameters and can go for a bit of cash, my lfs sells bolivian rams at about 11.99 each, the babies should be able to sell there for 3-7 dollars, with 15 fry, you can make 45-105 dollars

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or you could aim for a giant white cloud fish orgy school breeding swarm thing. :sick:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are discus fish easy to breed? I noticed that they run about fifty dollars each. I wouldn't mind selling them for 10-15 bucks each.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Remember with most species of fish that you will need enough room to raise them to sellable size which could mean 3 months to a year of feeding and caring for them before being to sell them. My LFS won't take them until they are large enough and some species have to be sexable before they will take them. I get $0.65 for swords and it takes about 3 months to get to sellable size.

·
Registered
763 Posts
convicts are almost impossible to sell the water in my area is v-hard so soft water fish are more expensive than say malawis as more effort goes into keeping the conditions right the only soft water fish ive bred is a type of apisto that can torerate harder water i sell mine to a local dealer and i get £1.30 each and he sells them for £4 while fish like discus go for about £20 for a baby and up to and above £200 for an adult :shock: :shock: i would look apon any fish you sell as an added bonus and not as a possible income

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why dont you try your hand at smaller, easier fish before going onto discus and angelfish? I would recommend danios and tetras (black skirts), they are hardy enough fish, and I believe they are easier to breed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts