Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, I'm a novice to fishkeeping. I've got an aquarium with a koi and zebra angelfish, and two female threespot gouramis, one is a wild color form and one's a golden. My books on fishkeeping say the males are aggressive towards each other, but not females. I added the golden one first with the koi angel a while back, and recently added the wild blue with the zebra angel. The angels are fine, but the golden gourami has been charging at the slightly larger blue all the time, which I suspect is territorial issues. I'm currently keeping the aggresive gold seperated with a floating plastic box, but I don't want to keep it there for long. Anyone have suggestions on how to reduce its aggression, or must I get a seperate tank for it? It's pretty stressful on both fish (and my brain), even while seperated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would say it’s definitely territorial behavior so most likely it will continue. For the safety of both fish I would put him in a separate tank or you could surrender him back to the pet store.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say it’s definitely territorial behavior so most likely it will continue. For the safety of both fish I would put him in a separate tank or you could surrender him back to the pet store.
Alright, thanks for the information, I'm keeping the gold gourami in a bucket temporarily to allow the blue to establish a territory before returning him to the main tank, but if it doesn't work out I'll probably send him back to the aquarium store or try to get another tank.

Once again, thanks for the information, it's helpful to know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts